Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I log into iMessage on iOS 6.1?

I still have iOS 6.1 on my iPod 4 and I've been using iMessage for approximately a year now without any problems, so this is my first (and hopefully only).

Whenever I go on the "iMessage" app, it sends me to the beginning iMessage page (the one where you "Get Started") even though I've already done this when I went on iMessage the very first time. I followed the iMessage account setup thingy, where you enter your Apple ID and password. After that page, it sent me to the page where it asks me if I would like to be known as "______@hotmail.com" and I tapped "Next". It makes me wait for a while before going back to the iMessage account setup (where I enter my Apple ID and password). I tried repeating the account setup but it just keeps on sending me back.

Also, whenever I go to Settings ----> Messages, it sends me back to the Account setup page. What do I do?

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 5:47 PM

2 replies

Mar 19, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Dreadstep

I have an old iPod Touch with old software that can no longer be updated:

iOS version 6.1.6

I've been searching for a solution to my iMessage login problem for months and tried everything from those frustrating links and all the tips from other users.

Here is what finally worked:

1) Settings > Privacy > Location Services > On

2) Settings > General > Date & Time > Set Automatically > On

3) Reboot device until Apple logo appears

4) Settings > Messages > Sign In

Why can't I log into iMessage on iOS 6.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.