Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to iOS 8.1.3 -- now will not sync with iTunes

I have just recently upgraded our family's iOS devices--iPad 2(64GB, WiFi/3G), iPad mini (1st gen, 64GB, WiFi), and 2 iPhones (5S, 16GB/64GB)--to 8.1.3, and now, NONE of them will sync properly with iTunes (I have 12.1.0.71 on Windows 7). The sync keeps stopping midway and shows an error message that there is inadequate free space available to perform the sync despite the free space being at least ten times bigger than the amount required (on all devices).

I've tried the "Reset All Settings" option (on the iPad mini), but still no success.

All 4 devices previously shared and used my appleID when they were still in iOS7, and I thought the sync problem was due to the family sharing feature that I had set up after installing iOS 8.1.3 (retained the iPad2 and the 64GB iPhone in my appleID, and setup an appleID for my wife on the 16GB iPhone and the iPad mini). I then tried signing back into iTunes on the iPad mini using my appleID, but the sync still does not go.

Anybody else have the same problem? Have you found a solution?

I'm at wits end...need help fast!

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 8:27 PM

10 replies

Feb 19, 2015 8:57 PM in response to scratchgolf_828

Problem solved...at least for one device (iPhone 5S/64GB).

I was able to sync my iPhone today after updating iTunes to the latest available version (12.1.1). Haven't tried syncing our other devices yet, but will definitely try it when I get home later.

Not sure if it was part of my original problem, but I updated all my apps first (from within the device via the App Store) before doing the sync with iTunes 12.1.1

Now, the app updates I've downloaded via iTunes is syncing properly.

Mar 1, 2015 4:54 PM in response to Harris71

Windows 8 w/ version 12.1.1.4 and iOS 8.1.3

Close iTunes

1) Plug in Device

2) Go to Device Manager/Portable Device

3) Right click- update driver

4) Browse my computer

5) Let me pick from list

6) Click Have Disk

7) Type in, or look for C:\Program Files

8) Go to Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device\Support Drivers

9) Dbl-CLick "usbaapl" file - let it do it's thing, until status bar is finished

Unplug Device- Open iTunes- plug in device- should work!

I had to do this for both my phones- 5 and 6

Aug 17, 2015 6:48 PM in response to jhogg6

From what I've observed, I think the sync problem comes up when there are numerous apps that need to be updated in the device, even if you already have the updated versions of these same app(s) in your PC/iTunes . I haven't been able to sync my iPad 2 for quite a bit now so there are 100+ apps that needs updating in my device, and the storage/sync problem came up again today when I tried doing the sync with iTunes. I then proceeded to update the apps in my iPad via the AppStore from within the device, and left about 20+ apps not updated...I also deleted a few movies stored on the device for good measure...then went back to iTunes to sync my iPad and voila!...the device is now able to sync without the memory/free space problems!

In summary:

Before:

> 100+ apps for updating

> about 1.7GB free space left on the iPad

What I did:

> Updated the iPad's apps from within the device (via wi-fi/3G, using the AppStore)

> Reduced the 100+ apps for updating to about 20+ (just to check that iTunes can still sync the apps properly)

> Freed up some more GBs by deleting a few items from the device (in my case, movies)...free space of 1.7GB went up to around 6GB

Result: iPad now syncing properly via iTunes on my PC

Aug 17, 2015 8:33 PM in response to scratchgolf_828

I'd like to add:

The first sync I tried to do (after the troubleshooting steps I made) resulted in an error message code "0xE800002D". I searched for discussions on this error, and found one thread that says in order to correct this sync error, you need to perform a power cycle on your device before syncing it again (i.e. turn it OFF completely, then back ON again...not just putting it on sleep/standby mode).

Others said that in addition to the power cycle, they had to do a hard reset on their device (pressing the power and home buttons together for about 5+ seconds), so you might want to consider doing that if the power cycle still fails.

The power cycle worked for my iPad so I didn't need to do a hard reset any longer.

Upgraded to iOS 8.1.3 -- now will not sync with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.