Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audible Download Manager says iTunes is not installed in Windows 8.1.

When attempting to transfer audiobooks from Audible.com to iTunes I've run into the issue that the Audible Download Manager can't find iTunes in Windows 8.1. I tried repairing the iTunes download and reinstalling both programs to no avail. I've also tried this on multiple computers and haven't been able to get Audible to find iTunes in Windows 8.1.

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 6:11 PM

5 replies

Jun 4, 2017 9:47 AM in response to hhgttg27

I'm having the same issue on my Windows 10 64-bit machine. I've hundreds of books in my iTunes library but recently, none of my Audible purchases are transferring. Audible DL manager doesn't recognize iTunes, even after running repair, and when I try to manually import the files to iTunes, iTunes will shoot up a prompt about "these files not authorized".

Feb 16, 2015 6:19 PM in response to HueGeeRection

This may be one of several compatibility issues with third-party products reported for iTunes 12.1, particularly the 64-bit version. However, you can still get your Audible audiobooks into iTunes - in the Audible Download Manager, click on the General Settings button, then clear the checkbox next to iTunes. Make a note of the folder (top of the same dialog) where Audible places its files. Then download your audiobooks as normal, and in iTunes select File > Add File to Library..., navigate to the folder noted above, select files and click OK. This will add the audiobooks to your iTunes library - obviously not as simple as the automated way, but an effective method pending an update to iTunes and/or the ADM.

Feb 16, 2015 7:00 PM in response to HueGeeRection

It may be worth testing whether the automated method works if iTunes is already running when the Audible Download Manager is launched. As far as I recall the ADM works - just like Amazon's MP3 download tool - by copying the downloaded files to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder within the iTunes library structure. Installing the default 64-bit version of iTunes 12.1 puts the application in a different location from previous releases (in Program Files rather than Program Files (x86) so it may be that the function in ADM that tries to launch iTunes to complete the import process is simply looking in the wrong place. I can check on a Windows 8.1 system ... may also be worth investigating whether uninstalling / reinstalling the ADM cause it to pick up the right link to the iTunes executable.

Audible Download Manager says iTunes is not installed in Windows 8.1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.