Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Volume Changes on iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.3

I am running iOS 8.1.3 on a iPhone 6.

When I set the music volume level in the built-in stock music app the volume sometimes changes on it's own. Sometimes it will increase to maximum. If it doesn't stay at maximum it will change to a lower volume then go back to maximum.

This same thing happens sometimes when I use my purchased podcast app.

Sometimes the audio level stays where I set it and sometimes it changes on it's own. The Apple Genius Bar told me today to do a restore to factory settings which is their standard line. The Genius Bar told me not to do a hard reset as this is potentially damaging to the phone's software. They recommend to power cycle the phone which I have done and the problem remains.

Has anyone experienced this same issue with the volume changing on it own and have you found a solution to the issue?

Thanks, Bill

iPhone 6, iOS 7

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 12:40 AM

Try to reset the phone by holding the sleep and home button for about 10sec, until the Apple logo comes back again. You will not lose any data by resetting, but it can cure some glitches.

If this does not help, setting it up as new device would be the next step:

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2015 12:40 AM in response to artmanphoto

Try to reset the phone by holding the sleep and home button for about 10sec, until the Apple logo comes back again. You will not lose any data by resetting, but it can cure some glitches.

If this does not help, setting it up as new device would be the next step:

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

Feb 17, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Ingo2711

Thank you for your reply. The Apple Genius bar told me that it is potentially damaging to the iPhone software to do a hard reset as you suggest. They suggested that I do a restore to factory settings through iTunes. I don't really want to do this as I have several apps installed that have data associated with the apps and I am concerned about loosing the data.

Feb 17, 2015 10:10 PM in response to artmanphoto

This is the first time I've read that a reset might damage your iOS software. Back up your phone and try the reset first, 3rd party app data is also included in the backup, check this article:

Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes

If the reset does not help, set it up as new device and restore again from the latest backup:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Jul 8, 2015 9:15 PM in response to artmanphoto

I Have the same issues, if i change a track on the music app the volume drops then if i hit the rewind button it goes back to the regular volume, or if i drag around the seeker then the full volune is restored, sound check and all that is disabled, also happens on blutooth n anything plugged in to the headphone jack

im running an iphone 5 tho with the latest iOS, my friend has a brand new ipad air 2 with the latest software and it does the same thing.

Audio Volume Changes on iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.