Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI timecode Syncronisation

Hi!

I`m a keyboard player performing live with a band, using synths with sequencers,tracks, loops etc. In my band, the drummer would like to run some loops, and the bass player would like to play synth bass with sequencers as well. So we all need to be synced to a common click track. As of now I`m running the click track from my computer.

I`ve tried to sync through midi beat clock, but the sync resolution is poor. The tracks drift in and out resulting in rythmic phasing.

The drummer and bass player is also using Mainstage, but could move to Ableton Live instead. Live has great support for syncing over midi time code. Is there anyway to send midi time code from Mainstage? I`ve tried rewiring with Ableton live on my computer, but that disables the midi sync send function in ableton. I`ve tried rewiring Mainstage as slave, but thats not possible either. I`ve tryed looking into writing a midiFX script that outputs midi time code based on transport information from Mainstage, but I didn`t find any function that printed midi time code.

Does anyone have any ideas for a solution? Is there any plugin or rewire application that can outputs midi time code from Mainstage?

I understand that Apple needs to disable the rewire slave function in Mainstage due to its low price, but I cant understand the lacking of midi time code support. If I don`t find a solution I will need to migrate some 100 patches over to Ableton Live. And that sounds like a lot of work :/

Kim

MainStage, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 12:58 AM

1 reply

Apr 3, 2017 11:25 AM in response to kimerno

I have the same issue.

Playing keys in a band with more member feeding on midiclock sent by the drummers Akai.

While Mainstage will adjust the patch tempo according to incoming midiclock, it refuses to slave it's internal beats/bar clock. So arpeggios will be in the right tempo but will not align to the subdivisions, so essentially they're only as precise as your first keypress, which partly undermines the very idea of an arpeggio.

I think the layout of MS is much nicer than Ableton if you have many songs with different sounds, but as you I'm facing to migrate.

I simply do not understand why midi clock slaving is not properly supported on an advanced performance instrument (which MS essentially is.)

//René

MIDI timecode Syncronisation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.