Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expanding a non apple router

I have a network at my work that I use every day. The router is far from my desk, and it is not a apple router. It's a newer Netgear router. I have a spare apple airport extreme 5th generation, and I also have a airport express 2nd generation. Is it possible to create a new network (with a new ssid) using one of those apple routers using the internet off the netgear? I need to do this 100% wireless. Expanding the network would also work, but I would prefer my own network. Thank you all so much

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 6:30 AM

3 replies

Feb 17, 2015 6:44 AM in response to usachasen

Is it possible to create a new network (with a new ssid) using one of those apple routers using the internet off the netgear?

Yes, assuming that the person who set up the Netgear router will allow another router to connect using one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the back of the Netgear router. (You will not be able to connect the AirPort router to the Netgear using wireless).

The general layout would look like this:

Netgear router connects to the AirPort Extreme using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection....any length of Ethernet cable that you choose.

The AirPort Extreme "creates" a new wireless network with a name and password of your choice.

The AirPort Express "extends" the AirPort Extreme network by connecting using wireless.

In order for this to work well, the AirPort Express will need to be located where it can receive a strong wireless signal to extend. The more that you have line-of-sight between the AirPorts, the better the network will operate.

Feb 17, 2015 6:59 AM in response to Japib

James,

All of these articles are at least 3 years out of date.....and do not track with any version of AirPort Utility since Snow Leopard (10.6.8), so they will be of little to no use with users who are setting up AirPorts using an iPhone, iPad, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite.

There is some good general information in the articles, though.

Expanding a non apple router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.