Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro mid 2010 light stays on but won't boot up

Recently I was in the process of trying to make a CD when I engaged Waveburner the computer crashed and never worked again. I tried all the usual things: like unplugging or 60 seconds and longer. When I turn it on I can hear the fan and the white light is solid but no boot or chime.

I switched to Yosemite a few weeks ago. I'm hoping it's not the board that's bad but thinking it might be. Anyone with any ideas of what it could be.

Thanks,

Stuart

Mac Pro-OTHER

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 5:16 AM

6 replies

Feb 17, 2015 7:29 AM in response to stuart35

Desperate times require desperate measures. The traditional way of debugging this situation is to remove everything that could be drawing too much power, and see if the minimal set that remains is alive.

Remove all drives, graphics card, any other PCI cards, disconnect the DVD Readers, and remove all memory DIMMs, keyboard and mouse and all USB devices, and anything else.

The symptom you seek is for the Power-on light to blink, saying "not enough RAM memory to start up". It does this under processor control, so a few things are working.

If you get there, add some RAM and look for the chime, which happens (again under processor control) when the power-on self test passes.

Then add keyboard, mouse, and graphics card, look for the gray screen and blinking question mark.

Then add a Boot drive, look for gray Apple (which is loaded off a Drive in the first "blob" of software, long before the File System has been started up.

Feb 26, 2015 12:57 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ok I figured out what is wrong. The Sapphire video card I bought from OWC about 4 months ago for over $400 is not working. I should say the HDMI part of it is not working. The VGA part is working. But I bought the thing for better resolution (HDMI) So currently the Sapphire is essentially the same as the original video card the came with my unit. I'm going to reach out OWC in hopes that they will replace the card.

Thanks for you help

Mac Pro mid 2010 light stays on but won't boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.