Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sticks on restart

I have a 7 year old MacBookPro, running Yosemite. When I try restart, the Mac boots up about one third of the way as shown on the progress bar, then stops. It does not move any further and after about 10 minutes, it reverts back to a black screen. I have tried Command plus R so I can reload Yosemite OS, but the Mac still refuses to get past the first third of the progress bar.

I am sending this request from my daughter's Mac, so please don't assume that it is coming from my sick Mac. How can I get it to restart so I can access my Mac?

MacBook Pro, OS X Version 10.9

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 4:27 AM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Shot Knees

After 5 days of constant rebooting, I touched my start button this morning and found the OS Yosemite had loaded overnight.

I had tried PRAMing, using Command Option, Command R, the last thing I tried last night was Command C. It seems to have worked. Why?

I used Disk Utility to check the disc and tit found there were a lot of verify corrections.

I would like to reboot the bloody thing again and reload Yosemite, but I am wary I may revert back to being a Mac non user for another week.

Does anyone think it's safe to do this? Is Yosemite unstable for an 8 year old Mac Book Pro?

sticks on restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.