Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite upgrade bricked my computer

So like an idiot I decide to upgrade, and don't think to Time Machine first. Because Apple stuff is pretty awesome and Yosemite isn't in Beta.

So I get the upgrade to Yosemite and restart. This leads to my computer doing the following

White screen.... progress bar.... taking forever....

when it gets to 99, the computer shuts off.

So I start the computer up again and OH! There's the white screen, progress bar, redoing the install, taking forever, at about 99% computer shuts off

I can't repair disk, recover, or do anything. I want my software still so "erase everything" isn't an option, how do I recover even if I have to go back to Mavericks?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 6:17 AM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2015 1:24 PM in response to IronSaint

Check the bottom of the computer to see if the serial number is there.

Startup - Gray, Blue or White screen at boot, w/spinner/progress bar

Startup - Gray Screen

Startup Issues - Resolve

Startup Issues - Resolve (2)

Startup Issues - Resolve (3)

If it still won't start,

Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Then re-install the OS. This shouldn't delete your data.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Yosemite upgrade bricked my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.