Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'fn' key shows desktop (not in combination with f11). How to turn this off?

iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2012

OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Whenever I press the 'fn' key (standalone) key it shows my desktop, which it makes it difficult for me to use this key in combination with the f1-f12 keys. I had a similar issue on my Macbook Air, which was resolved by changing my keyboard to the correct input source and double checking that no shortcuts had been installed for the keyboard. When I realised that my iMac had the same problem I went through the same steps but nothing changed this time.

I've restored all shortcuts to default and made sure that my keyboard input source is one that matches my wireless keyboard.

Any ideas on how to stop the 'fn' standalone key from showing my desktop?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 8:05 AM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2015 10:58 AM in response to nbmm000

Hi nbmm000,

I see that you are experiencing an issue with the function key on your keyboard. While I am sure you have already seen this step, it has not been mentioned in your post, so I thought I would mention it as a troubleshooting step:

How to change the behavior of function keys on your Mac - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht3399

Thanks for coming to the Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Braden

Mar 4, 2015 6:39 AM in response to braden85

Thanks for your reply. I have indeed got this installed at the moment but my problem is that I can't seem to turn off the shortcut to my function key. So even when I'm not using pages and I'm in other apps, the function key still works as a 'show desktop' button. I'd quite like to get rid of this functionality and restore it to it's original purpose.

'fn' key shows desktop (not in combination with f11). How to turn this off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.