Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change in Home Location caused by change in router / hub

I have iPad 1 and recently upgraded broadband to Virgin Super Hub. I have lost my home location in iPad Maps andBBC

Weather and other weather Apps. My home location is now shown as an address in London

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 7:53 AM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Henderson38

If you have the WiFi-only iPad (which does not have GPS) your location is determined by the mapped location of nearby WiFi routers. A WiFi+Cellular iPad or an iPhone has GPS and can locate itself.

Without GPS iPad location-finding is done by using a Apple location database which contains the MAC addresses of routers and their physical location. A MAC address is a unique number which is built-in to all network devices when manufactured. No two routers have the same MAC address.

The Apple database is built and updated by Apple GPS-enabled devices (primarily iPhones) actually seeing routers and then adding/updating the router's locations into the database. There is no manual way to request an update to the Apple location database.

Note, to be used for location determination, a device does not need to actually be connected to a router, it just has to see the router and its MAC address. More precise location determination can be done if several nearby routers can be seen.

If your router's location has never been added to Apple's location database your location may not be available to your device. When a router is moved from one location to another erroneous locations can sometimes be reported until the router's location is corrected in Apple's database. The router that you were given has probably seen service in London and was last located there.

Feb 17, 2015 11:48 AM in response to JimHdk

THank you for the information.I was aware of some of your detailed information and thought of the possibility of the previous owner of the Super Hub being in

LOndon.I am now in contact with Apple Support and Apple Genius who are finding it difficult in effecting a solution although to their credit have tried various

options both on the telephone and in store. However I think I may have to work arround the problem.

Change in Home Location caused by change in router / hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.