Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store update issues

Hi there.

I've been having issues using the App Store's software update page.

"Can't connect to the Apple Software Update server."

I've tried a few fixes.

• Rebooted (sometimes fixes strange errors)

• Deleted App Store Cookies (no change)

• Checked /etc/hosts (nothing out of the ordinary)

• Update to 10.10.2 manually via Combo Update (no change)

• Waited a few days (no change)

I don't have the "iWorm" trojan… No JavaW files in the System folders.

I can telnet into swscan.apple.com (telnet swscan.apple.com 443 in terminal, returns the usual "Escape character is '^]'.")

What's going on here?

Other details:

MacBook Pro 13-Inch, 2009.

4GB RAM / 500GB HDD

Mac OS X v10.10.2

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 7:10 AM

4 replies

Feb 18, 2015 10:09 AM in response to nfax

Hello nfax,

It sounds like you are deep into troubleshooting the "Can't connect to the Apple Software Update server" message.

That message is specifically mentioned in this article

Update OS X and App Store apps on your Mac - Apple Support

If you can't connect to the Software Update server

If you're using your iPhone as an Instant Hotspot, OS X doesn't check for updates automatically. If you need to install an update while you're using your cellular data connection, open the Updates pane of the Mac App Store to manually check for and download updates.

If you are using your Mac at a business or school, ask your network administrator if you're using a proxy server. Software Update uses HTTPS to create a secure connection to Apple's Software Update servers. Make sure you have a working Internet connection by opening http://www.apple.com in Safari. Your administrator can configure a proxy server to allow allow a secure connection to Apple's Software Update server if needed.

Also check out this article for other things that may be affecting it.

OS X: "Cannot connect" or "Cannot connect to the App Store. An internet connection is required" - Apple Support

Regards,

Nubz

App Store update issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.