Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 and Apple Lossless

It would seem pretty certain that Apple will ensure that there will be a version of iTunes compatible with Windows 10 around the time that Windows 10 is officially released. So one way to play Apple Lossless files in Windows 10 will be via iTunes, however a lot of people would like to use Windows Media Player and hence Windows Media Center to play these files also. This is currently possible with Windows 8.1 and earlier by installing a DirectShow filter. (Along with a few other steps admittedly.)

The purpose of this post is to discuss what new options there might be. For those unaware of the history of Windows Media Player and music/video formats, originally Microsoft used a software library called DirectShow to do this, when Windows 7 was launched they added support for a new standard called Media Foundation with this being the 'preferred' approach. At the same time Microsoft added as standard a Media Foundation codec which could play AAC files but not Apple Lossless files. Fortunately as Windows Media Player in Windows 7 and 8/8.1 still supports DirectShow codecs aka. filters one could still install a DirectShow filter to play Apple Lossless files. The new information that has been fairly widely discussed is that Microsoft are going to add new Media Foundation codecs as standard in Windows 10 to support FLAC for music files, and MKV for video files. (FLAC is roughly equivalent to Apple Lossless.)

What has not been widely discussed is whether Microsoft are also going to add support as standard for Apple Lossless in Windows 10. In theory this should be as easy for them as FLAC since Apple Lossless is also free and open-source like FLAC. I certainly would very much like them to do this as I have all my music library in Apple Lossless and currently shared between iTunes and WMP and Windows Media Center. If Microsoft add this support as standard then I will no longer have to go through the steps I have previously used to add support for Apple Lossless. (As an aside I was the person who led the original effort that resulted in being able to play Apple Lossless in Windows Media Player via a DirectShow filter and was the very first person in the world to play a music file this way, the actual coding was mainly down to Milenko Mitrovic.)

I have now found the following article which whilst written in Chinese on a Taiwanese website does seem via the powers of Google Translate to strongly suggest that Microsoft have shown uncommon good sense and also added Apple Lossless support to Windows 10.

See http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fasset 1.techbang.com.tw%2Fposts%2F22273-windows-10-include-flac-apple-lossless-lossles s-music-in-support-computer-and-phone-playback-from-external

I would be interested to hear from either someone who natively understands Chinese and can confirm Google's translation, or someone who has tried playing an Apple Lossless file in Windows 10.

Assuming this is true then this alone may justify to me my upgrading to Windows 10 which even though a free upgrade would otherwise have been of little interest.

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 6:34 PM

John Lockwood wrote:

.... Microsoft have shown uncommon good sense and also added Apple Lossless support to Windows 10.

Now if Apple would show equivalent good sense and have iTunes play FLAC, the world would be a better place. 🙂

9 replies

Feb 17, 2015 9:03 PM in response to hhgttg27

With FLAC not really offering any additional advantages to Apple over ALAC and it being easy to convert between the two formats with no loss of quality I also do not think Apple will add support. I personally think this is more down to a combination of not want to spend the effort/resources writing it, and a possible worry that once added a Patent Troll will pop-up and sue over FLAC to try and extort money from Apple. Saying that the same arguments would have applied to Microsoft and they have announced they are adding support for FLAC to Windows 10 as per my original message.

With regards to the music industry, they have long given the impression of being run by technophobes with no clue about things. The sale of music downloads has according to some sources actually fallen slightly, the sale of vinyl has begun to rise. There is therefore an argument to be made that music buyers are fed up with comparatively low(er) quality downloads and want higher quality music. The past technical justification of needing a small file and hence download size no longer applies as even a FLAC/ALAC file is far smaller than a video file with now video downloads e.g. movie/TV downloads being widespread and feasible due to the improvement in broadband speeds. It could be therefore that making music downloads available in a lossless format would reinvigorate the sale of music downloads and would be especially beneficial to the sale of classical music downloads a market the music industry seem to be totally ignoring.

Feb 18, 2015 7:11 PM in response to John Lockwood

John,

Download sales are definitely falling, mainly because people are moving to streaming music.

Vinyl is growing fast percentage-wise, but is still a tiny fraction of overall sales. And given its general weight and inconvenience, it is inconceivable that it will become big again.

There are actually plenty of online stores selling lossless (CD quality) or even hi-res (better than CD quality) classical downloads. I suspect their market share is minimal. Apple selling lossless downloads would be a shot in the arm for higher quality audio. We'll see how it plays out.

May 19, 2015 12:51 PM in response to John Lockwood

I have just tried it in the latest available Windows 10 build as of today (10074) and I can indeed confirm that there's now native playback support for Apple Lossless. Windows Media Player was able to play my test Apple Lossless file, without the installation of any additional DirectShow or Media Foundation filters.

However, just like in Windows 7/8, WMP by default still adds Apple Lossless files to its Other media section, so my WMP Tag Plus plug-in is still required to get these files in the Music section instead.

May 19, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Tim De Baets

Thanks for the news. I was actually in the middle of burning Windows 10 to a DVD so as to be able to install it for testing myself when I got your message. 🙂

It was hard to understand why Microsoft deliberately tried to cripple Apple Lossless in Windows 7 which did not itself support Apple Lossless, now that Windows 10 does officially support it this is even less understandable. I plan if it allows to report this as 'bug' in Windows 10. Could you do the same at your end? The more the merrier.

Thanks again for the report, and even bigger thanks for your original work with WMP Tag Plus to workaround this issue. (Back in Windows 7.)

May 24, 2015 9:19 AM in response to John Lockwood

As an update to all interested parties, I managed to install a test copy of Windows 10 under VirtualBox. I was then able to confirm myself that indeed Windows 10 does include as standard a MediaFoundation decoding codec to play Apple Lossless files, I also discovered that Windows 10 includes a matching Apple Lossless encoding MediaFoundation codec although I have not yet seen anyway to utilise that.

Unlike Tim De Baets I found I did not need to install WMP Tag Plus in order for Apple Lossless files to be correctly recognised as music files. My test music files went straight in to the music section and played with no problems and the embedded tags and album artwork all showed up. This was with zero extra items installed so there was no need to install a codec pack, no need to install iTunes, no need to install WMP Tag Plus.

Note: Windows 7, Windows 8, and 8.1 all treated Apple Lossless files as 'other' unless one installed Tim's WMP Tag Plus to workaround that problem.

For the benefit of Tim, I was testing this with Windows 10 64-bit build 10122. I believe this build is still only available if you active the 'fast' update ring. If your on the 'slow' update ring you do not see it.

Using the above built-in codec I was also not only able to play a locally stored Apple Lossless file, but was also able to play an Apple Lossless file streamed from a DNLA server. I have not yet been able to test the reverse i.e. streaming an Apple Lossless file from Windows Media Player in WIndows 10 and playing it on a DNLA client. I can see that it appears Windows Media Player in Windows 10 does not do automatic transcoding for DNLA clients. My Sony TV while a DNLA client does not itself support Apple Lossless.

If anyone is able to come up with a way of copying the Apple Lossless MediaFoundation codec from Windows 10 and getting it working in Windows 7 and 8/8.1 I would appreciate the details on how to do that.

Windows 10 and Apple Lossless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.