Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lacie 5big Thunderbolt 2 BEEPING SOUNDS!!

- nMP (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-Core, 16GB, AMD FirePro D500 3GB, OS X 10.10.1

- Lacie 5Big Thunderbolt 2 10TB Raid 5 to 8TB (Direct connected to nMP on it's own bus.)

- Updated to latest versions: Lacie Raid Manager, 5Big Firmware and Drivers (un-installed/re-installed multiple times)

Bought a 5Big in Oct of 2014 and it has been both flawless and flawed. Performance wise, it's on par. Fast and safe, just as advertised. Absolutely no issues from that standpoint what so ever.

But......IT KEEPS BEEPING!!

I've reached a breaking point after 50+ interactions on a Lacie Support Ticket. After two refurbished replacement drives. And now on my third replacement that was a brand new drive.

So here's the scenario. I've used the drive like any other person would. I'm a video editor/shooter/photographer. Mainly Adobe Products and Office stuff. I'll be trucking along just fine editing, emailing what have you. I'll get up and go to lunch and when I come back, my computer is asleep. Ok, nothing strange here, wake it up by pressing the space bar. Computer wakes up, monitors come on, 5Big light blinks on the front that it's waking up, the light goes solid blue and then about 5 seconds after the computer comes to life... 5Big light blinks red and 2-3 loud BEEPS sound off, then goes back to solid blue light. (It's irrelevant but I work in a cube land where you can here a mouse ****. These beeps are LOUD, ANNOYING and OBTRUSIVE.)

Now it's not functioning, (for reasons I don't know, other than I installed the latest version) but when I could see the drive in the Lacie Raid Manager it was saying "Adapter 0 Defective fan 0 found". Every single time. And this event is a totally random from what I can tell. Sometimes I'll wake my computer up and no BEEPS happen. Then other times, there's the BEEPS.

The people helping me on the Support Ticket have been friendly and appeared to be insightful but unfortunately is hasn't help with the problem. My last interaction with them left me a little puzzled. I would think that after the second replacement drive I should have been put in touch with the "Advanced Technical Support Team". And why do I have to contact them?? They should read the ticket and get in touch with me??? See below. I haven't received anything after my last post...

James C. Posted: February 12, 2015 @ 3:10 PM
The beeping never really went away but it just recently started happening more and more.... I saw that there was a firmware update since we had last talked. So I went ahead with that. Beeping still remains. And now I can't seem to get LRM to work. I open the app and it opens a webpage saying that "Local host cannot be found". I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this... Help please.
James C. Posted: February 12, 2015 @ 4:07 PM
Just tried re-installing LRM. Didn't fix browser issue.
Jonathan A.

Was this helpful? Please click on the stars.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted: February 13, 2015 @ 12:11 PM

Good morning,

I've really appreciated your time on this matter, but given that everything up to and including this point has failed, I believe that at this point it would be prudent to go over the matter with our Advanced Technical Support team. You may contact Support at (855) 588-8520 Option 2 (Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM PST Fridays closed 2PM to 2:30PM PST). Please be sure to refer to ticket number 103658991 when you call in. Otherwise we can continue here as necessary

Kindest regards.

- Jon A.

James C. Posted: February 16, 2015 @ 3:22 PM
Thank you for the additional support information.

At this point I would prefer to return the unit and get refunded my purchase price. After all of the tried resolutions I can't afford to spend any more time on this issue. I would really appreciate if we could work this out. Thank you.

I feel that I have been more than cordial and have devoted many hours to this issue. Copying data to new drives, packaging and shipping and troubleshooting. I can't find anything online about anyone else having this issue. I can't relate it to any other thing on my computer because it's so random. This has to be some kind of bug and I find it a bit ridiculous that they can't squash it by now.

Has anyone else experience this? I don't know what else to do if they won't take it back. Any and all suggestions appreciate since I've burnt out all of Lacie's options. Really wishing I wouldn't have made the decision to go with the Lacie instead of a G-Tech. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 8:56 AM

6 replies

Feb 17, 2015 11:29 AM in response to jceditor

LaCie makes the Big5 not G-Tech, you bashed G-Tech in you last line.

As for service support, many hard drive manufacturer's use the ticket system as their way of tracking, thus to be asked to submit a ticket for a replacement drive is not unheard of.

Doing a simple search in google comes up with this document regarding how LaCie reports drive errors. I think it will sound a lot like what you have experienced. Granted it is not an official document nor is it specific to your particular drive, but it would make sense that all their drives would employ a similar error reporting system. http://datarecovery.com/rd/lacie-data-recovery/

You will not get a refund. That is an absolute certainty. Almost every hard drive manufacturer will merely replace the defective drive if it is under warranty. Sounds like they have already been doing that. At this juncture I'd either get a replacement drive (since you're not going to get your money back) or just get a different drive altogether (forget this headache and just move on).

Feb 17, 2015 11:54 AM in response to pmiles

Yes, my mistake. I meant it the other way around. (5Big you mean? 😉)

Yeah, I totally understand the process.

I'll admit I didn't come across that doc in my searches, but it is very vague. I know that drives of this type will have alarm systems and such compared to consumer level drives. Not my first rodeo with RAIDs or large shared storage setups.

Unfortunately I can't just eat the cost at this point. (Because I'll definitely be going with the G-Tech when I can. Which is $900 more.) Back to the ticket I go I guess...

Did you have any thoughts as to why this might be happening?

Feb 18, 2015 11:02 AM in response to jceditor

A drive failure, or even drive read errors will often cause a RAID to "break" and require a rebuild. If there is a Utility they supplied for this, take a look at the drives and see if the RAID is intact.

I don't know whether Disk Utility is appropriate for this, but if the RAID is a Disk Utility RAID, Disk Utility could start the Rebuild (which may take ALL NIGHT).

Jun 26, 2015 2:50 PM in response to jceditor

You're not alone. I first bought my 5Big in March 2015. As soon as I turned it on, it beeped. I'm now on my 3rd device from Lacie support, and the same behavior. For me, it appears only on startup or returning from sleep. It is like during the startup process, it checks that adapter fan too quickly before it is all the way turned on. I'm waiting on direction again from Lacie support. I've done everything they ask. New LRM installs. Firmware upgrades. Plugging into my wife's Mac instead of mine. They have told me they know of a few isolated incidents. I'm at my wits end cause this drive is awesome ... it just beeps all the time because of that stupid fan check. What did you end up doing with yours?

Dec 18, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Michigan Mike

I have been having the exact same problems - I am also on my 3rd device from Lacie. All of which have been brand new units. Mine also beeps mostly during the startup process, but sometimes just randomly through the night while the computer is in sleep mode. I've also found that the fan rattles very loudly, and has done so on all 3 units. I gave up trying to fix the issues, kind of hoping that LaCie might bring out a firmware update that solves it.

Lacie 5big Thunderbolt 2 BEEPING SOUNDS!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.