Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving music from one computer to a new one

Last year the hard drive crashed on my desk top. The majority of my music on iTunes was not saved in the cloud so I lost it all. I purchased a program to rip the music from my iPod and put it back onto my desk top and into iTunes. I am now at the point where I need to purchase a new computer. When I log onto my iTunes account for the first time on the new computer, will the music I ripped from the iPod be on iTunes? Will I have to re-rip the music off the iPod and onto the new computer?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 10:04 AM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2015 10:11 AM in response to AHF6096

If you migrate your data to the new computer from the old one, everything will transfer. Be sure to first arrange to connect the two computers for the transfer - Target Disk Mode. When that is set you can turn on the new computer for the first time. It will open the Setup Assistant. You will have an option to migrate from your old computer, a backup disk, or from a Time Machine backup drive. I suggest you use a Time Machine or other backup drive for this rather than TDM because it's more reliable and faster. If you don't currently have a backup, then it's time to make one.

moving music from one computer to a new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.