Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have recently bought a Mac PC and wish to have my music for my windows laptop show up on the mac (all that shows are my purchased songs) do i have to manually add my cds somehow?

All my music that i have loaded onto my windows HP Laptop (Envy) has not shown up on my Mac PC, only the purchased songs bought through the iTunes store.

Do i have to manually load the cd's onto my Mac via a portable media unit? Or will that not work? I do not want to have to purchase all my favourite music again 🙂

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 3:15 PM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2015 3:39 PM in response to loubeelin

Only purchases appear because they are coming Apple's own copy keeps on the Internet when it sees you have connected a computer without the purchases. Anything else has to be transferred by you.

Moving an entire library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the prompt to create or choose a library choose the copied iTunes folder.

When this is to a new computer put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.)

Windows users see tip at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4095896?answerId=18879381022#18879381022

Consider moving everything from your Windows PC to your Mac in a single move, including your iTunes library: About Windows Migration Assistant - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4796 - Learn about how to use Windows Migration Assistant to migrate your files from a Windows PC to a Mac.

I have recently bought a Mac PC and wish to have my music for my windows laptop show up on the mac (all that shows are my purchased songs) do i have to manually add my cds somehow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.