Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to password protect a Desktop Folder in Yosemite

I have an IMAC running Yosemite 10.10.2. I would like to password protect a Desktop Folder. Is there a way to do this?

iPhoto '11, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 1:10 PM

4 replies

Feb 17, 2015 1:13 PM in response to abatts

That folder cannot be modified because it is required by OS X. And, there is no point in password protecting that folder. It's the Desktop folder. If you have items on the Desktop you don't want accessed, then move them elsewhere on your computer into a separate folder that you can protect with a password.

Feb 17, 2015 3:43 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy, for the reply. It is not the "Desktop Folder" I want to password protect. I have created a folder and placed it on the desktop and I want to password protect that folder but I do not know how to accomplish this. If I need to first move the folder from the desktop that is no problem. I just need to know the steps to take to password protect the folder I created.

Feb 17, 2015 7:07 PM in response to abatts

You need to find a third-party utility that does that. You should find one at macupdate.com or at the App Store. In order to use OS X you would need to create an encrypted disc image using Disk Utility, then store your folder in the disc image. That way only you can mount the disc image and access the data.

How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image

Is there a way to password protect a Desktop Folder in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.