Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having problem with FCP 5.1.4 adding transitions. Just new to this app.

So I get 2 maybe 3 transitions set correct. After that none work properly. ie: lets go for the quicktime zoom transition. So as it zooms out it plays the first quarter of the 1st part of the transition in the zoom box. This is not correct it should be playing the second part of the transition. Anyway about 1/4 of the way through it does play the second half of the transition which is correct and plays the rest of it properly. It does the same for cross dissolve and all other transitions. I have trashed the preferences but that doesn't seem to help. I have also changed the preferences and that doesn't help. OS is 10.5.8; 6g of ram; powermac g5 quad core 2.5ghz;

Please if anyone can help.

Below I entered FCP 6 because 5 was not available.

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 3:49 PM

18 replies

Feb 17, 2015 5:39 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Just to clarify, by "FCP 5 friendly source material," he means video files that are a format (codec) that FCP 5 supports. What FCP 5 supports can be found in the EASY SETUP list. If the format you are working with isn't there, say if your footage is H.264 or MP4 or some other web compressed format, FCP won't work properly. It needs to be in an editing codec if you want FCP 5 to work with it.

Also, you need to make sure that your sequence settings match the settings of the footage you are trying to edit. If you add a clip to the sequence, and immediately have to render, that's a big clue to say that something isn't right. You should edit without rendering at all.

The most important thing you need to do is properly set up your project from the start, and the best way to do this is to choose a setting from the Easy Setups, located under the Final Cut Pro menu. Once you do this, you’ll need to create a new sequence. This is because the sequence that is already in your new project is setup for the typical default setting of DV/NTSC, or for the settings of your last project, which might not match what you are currently working with. So delete SEQUENCE 1 and create a new sequence:

This new sequence will contain the settings you chose in the Easy Setup menu, and should match the format you captured

Feb 17, 2015 6:16 PM in response to moviemaker peter

Yeah...wrong codec. The HVX-200 shoots DVCPRO HD...a vastly superior format to HDV. HDV is a very funky format...so putting DVCPRO HD into an HDV sequence is most likely the issue. Anything not HDV in an HDV sequence will cause issues, because the format is GOP...that is to say there are 3 real frames, and then the in-between frames are comprised of a "Group of Pictures" (GOP) that guesstimate what the other frames will be. It's odd. DVCPRO HD is a full frame format...so 30 real frames (well, 60 real interlaced fields).

Feb 17, 2015 7:44 PM in response to Shane Ross

Started out OK. Got 5 transitions set before it went haywire again.

So what codec are you suggesting now?

Thanks for the help by the way, before I forget.

The sixth gave me a transition before the cut line in the timeline but played OK.

The 7th gave me 2 frames and that was it. Tried it a dozen times. Even trashed the preferences but still won't play.

Feb 19, 2015 1:09 PM in response to moviemaker peter

Yes.

Your transition(s) cannot exceed the duration of the handles on your incoming and outgoing clips.

If you place two clips on the timeline with only 4 frames of handles on both, then your longest transition will be an 8 frame transition. If you try to place a 30 frame dissolve there, FCP will automatically shorten the dissolve to fit and make it 8 frames instead.

MtD

Feb 19, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thank You.

So the answer is to shoot enough video before and after then what is needed for each clip.

So if 3 or more seconds are shot before the main action and after would then be enough video to provide the handles, in a controlled shoot.

If shooting live, just keep the camera running longer to get enough video for the handles. Am I on the right line here?

Feb 19, 2015 1:24 PM in response to moviemaker peter

Yes. This is why on the set of features and TV shows, they say "Roll sound....roll camera....slate it...aaaaaaannnd...ACTION!" There's LOT of pre-roll happening. And when the shot ends, they wait 5-10 seconds before they yell "cut!"

Always start recording before you start filming the action you want, and let the camera go for a few seconds after the action ends. Get in this habit.

Feb 19, 2015 1:29 PM in response to moviemaker peter

Yes. Record lots and lots of extra stuff. When we used to shoot film, it was expensive to keep rolling - now there is no excuse not to. My experience is that when people start out in video production, they try to shoot as little as possible - but actually you want to shoot as much as possible. When you start editing, you never know what will end up in the final piece . . . .

MtD

Having problem with FCP 5.1.4 adding transitions. Just new to this app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.