Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone asks for passcode for a reset, but no passcode is set

My wife and I just got new phones and I've been working on clearing out our old phones. Mine went without a hitch, however I'm at the very end of clearing my wife's phone out. When I attempt to erase it via "Erase All Content and Settings", the iPhone asks me for a passcode, even though there is no passcode currently set for the phone.

I've tried all known passcode(mine and hers), however I'm at 11 attempts, I'm getting tired of waiting for 60 minutes for another attempt.

Is this passcode different than the phone passcode? Will erasing with iTunes via "Restore iPhone" cause any issues? What's the best way to proceed?

[additional information: The phone was originally set up using my apple ID account. When my wife finally set up her own apple ID we switched it to her account.]

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 7:17 PM

6 replies

Feb 18, 2015 9:47 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I may eventually end up restoring from iTunes if I can't find a solution ChrisJ4203. I am concerned that this lock may cause me problems if I try to Restore from iTunes while there is this lock.

I was following those instructions(similar ones) for removing personal information from idevices before selling etc.

Feb 18, 2015 7:02 PM in response to gezebo

Final update. Thanks for the discussion BTW.

I notice today that password is the restriction passcode specifically. So i restored the phone to a backup I knew didn't have restrictions enabled, and was able to restore phone to defaults afterwards.

Thanks again. I hope this helps someone else int he future.

iPhone asks for passcode for a reset, but no passcode is set

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.