Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 unable to connect to WiFi at home

Received my new iPad Air 2 a few days ago. When I was setting it up, i notice that it will not connect to my home wifi network.

All the while, my iPad 3, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S (all iOS 8.1.3) as well as my computer, are all connecting to my home wifi just fine.

So I went ahead and "Restore" my back up of iPad 3 the old fashion way, via the cable instead of the cloud. The restore worked just fine, but the iPad Air 2 still refuse to connect. My SSID is hidden, so I have to type it in and put in password. It finds my network, and it "tries" to connect, but always failed.

I tried just about everything from what I can find on the internet websites, I have tried: reboot iPad, hard reboot iPad, reset Network, reset All Settings, forget network and reconnect, turn on and off my router and modem. I have an old Buffalo WBR2-G54 (my brother says it's too old, but the problem is all my other devices are working just fine!). I am using WPA, which I think is the correct one to use (rather then WEP).

The iPad Air 2 connects to wifi at Starbucks down the street, and it picks up wifi via hotspot through my iPhone 5 (I made sure it was not on bluetooth). So I think the wifi should be working. Is it really my router problem???? I actually have to go out and get a new router while it works just fine with my 4 other devices at home?! Maybe I just need to adjust my router setting? Anyone know?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 9:32 PM

5 replies

Feb 17, 2015 9:53 PM in response to daisyboo888

Hi. According to your discription, please pay more atteion to your IP address. If begin with 169.254 and can not connect to internet(Though it will show connect success). I suggest you can try the methods as below:

1. Restore your router but not only turn on and off.

2, Check if set uo the maximum login users on your router. I use the Buffalo router before but actually I found the compatibility is not stable😐.

3. Try to trun off "DHCP" function and use static IP address.

Feb 17, 2015 11:54 PM in response to daisyboo888

Make absolutely, positively sure that the password that you are entering is the correct and current password and that you are entering it correctly (i.e., letter case is correct, a vs. A, etc., no similar character confusion, O vs 0, l vs 1, etc.)

SImilarly, make sure that the SSID you are entering is correct.

Check to see if MAC address filtering is turned on in your router. If so, make sure that the iPad Air 2. MAC address (WiFi Address) has been correctly entered into the router.

Check to see If there is a maximum number of connections set in the router.

Check to see if there are firmware updates for your router.

Mar 4, 2015 8:49 PM in response to daisyboo888

Hi Anson/JimHdk,

I triple checked to makes sure my SSID and passwords are right.

I found the MAC Address filter is not turned on...

I don't think there's maximum number of connection for the router (I turned my 2 other devices on Airplane mode when checking) and it still didn't work.

I don't know how to durn off DHCP and use static IP address....

There's no firmware update available for my router as it's 8 years old....

My brother says I will need to get a new router.... 😢 hopefully that will work....

Thank you both for offering these additional checks!

Mary

iPad Air 2 unable to connect to WiFi at home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.