Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I synchronise iphone6 with backup of iphone5 and iphone5 with iphone6 backup due to a phone swop with only one mac with itunes for backups?

I have an iPhone5 and my boyfriend an iPhone6, both are synchronized via my mac book and iTunes. So both backups on my mac book. We now wanna swop the phones and synchronize the iphone6 with the data of the iphone5 and the other way around. What is the best way to do that? Is there anything I have to make sure of? Must I do all the software updates before the swop? I am very nervous and don’t wanna loose any data from both of us. Please help.

Posted on Feb 17, 2015 11:54 PM

5 replies

Feb 18, 2015 1:28 AM in response to sa-trincha

All devices have to run the same iOS version, you can't restore a phone running 8.1.2 from an 8.1.3 backup, for example. However, using a older backup version for a newer iOS will be working for most of the apps, unless they run features only working in iOS 8.1.3 or only the iPhone 6.

Make sure to deactivate the Activation Lock in iCloud on each of the phones before you start, otherwise you will not be able to set it up with your Apple ID.

I guess your phones have unique names, so it should be no problem to find the correct backup to restore from.

Backups you used to restore will not be overwritten, you can check the list of available backups in iTunes/Preferences/Devices.

Apps are not part of the backup, so make sure to transfer all purchases to iTunes before:

Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes

Feb 18, 2015 3:19 AM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks Ingo for your response :-).

Ok, so first thing is then to update both phones (software and apps), to make sure that I am dealing with the same iOS versions and then backup again and transfer all purchases apps to iTunes, right?

Before I restore the backups must I go back to factory settings (reset everything) on the phones or does the restore of the latest backup overwrite all data itself?

Feb 24, 2015 5:06 AM in response to Ingo2711

Hi Ingo,

I am busy with doing the iphone backups and restores and you said in one of the posts before:

"Make sure to deactivate the Activation Lock in iCloud on each of the phones before you start, otherwise you will not be able to set it up with your Apple ID."

What exactly must I do as I am not using iCloud, not on my phone and not on my Mac book?

Feb 24, 2015 5:20 AM in response to sa-trincha

Check if "Find my iPhone" is enabled in Settings/iCloud on your phone, if you did not activate the Activation Lock during the setup of the phone, you can restore without problems.

With iOS 7 or later, Find My iPhone includes a feature called Activation Lock, which is turned on automatically when you set up Find My iPhone. Activation Lock makes it harder for anyone to use or sell your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it’s ever lost or stolen.

copied from: iCloud: Activation Lock

How do I synchronise iphone6 with backup of iphone5 and iphone5 with iphone6 backup due to a phone swop with only one mac with itunes for backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.