Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the differences between running windows with parallels or boot camp?

I am a Drafting and Design student so I need Windows for AutoDesk programs Revit and Inventor. I have a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz 16GB.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 1:52 AM

2 replies

Feb 19, 2015 10:16 AM in response to nkriss

nkriss wrote:

I am a Drafting and Design student so I need Windows for AutoDesk programs Revit and Inventor....

A couple of differences which don't often get mentioned:

First, in Bootcamp, the size of the partition you create for Windows is fully taken over by Bootcamp. In a virtual machine, you can give Windows 100GB for the C: drive but if you're only using 20GB on it, that's about what gets taken up on your SSD - it expands and contracts based on actual use.

Second, a virtual machine is a file like most other files (actually, it's a collection of files in a folder) and that means you can duplicate it for backup purposes. You can also take snapshots to try things out and restore to the snapshot's state to eliminate everything done since the snapshot was taken. Try that with a real PC, or Bootcamp, which is pretty much the same thing.

What is the differences between running windows with parallels or boot camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.