Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7: clip settings don't match easy set up

Hi - apologies if this is a basic Final Cut questions. I am cutting a short film. It was shot on Canon XF305, i've ingested these rushes using XF utility and the plugin to get it into FCP7.0.

I've had to copy the whole project and all its files onto a new, bigger drive. I did this through media manager (thanks to the help on this and other forums) but I've just noticed that the easy set up settings for the whole project are different from the clip settings. I set the easy set up as apple pro res but it seems to be Apple pro res 422 1440x1080 24p 48kHz, Device preset: Sony HDV Firewire, Edit to tape/PTV Output video HDV (1440 x 1080) 24p/60i. My rushes are 1980x1080 50i and I don't think there was any other setting in easy setting that matched them apart from pro res 422.

What can I do about this? I don't want to have problems when I'm importing the finished project out of Final Cut pro.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

BM

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 3:31 AM

4 replies

Feb 18, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Bluemallers

Well, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Sorry about this.

Step 1: Make a new sequence.

Step 2: Add one of the clips of your footage to that empty sequence. When FCP asks "Do you want the sequence settings to match the clip settings?" Click YES. Remove that clip.

Step 3: Now, open the other sequence, select all...and COPY. Go to the new sequence and select PASTE.

You'll now notice that there are a lot of gaps between many of the cuts. This is because of the frame rate difference. Also, pretty much every clip will have a numerical value in the DISTORT field in the MOTION tab...between 12% to 25%.

Step 4: You'll have to remove the distort by highlighting all your clips, and right-clicking choosing the REMOVE ATTRIBUTES option, and choose DISTORT. That's the easy part.

Step 5: Manually fix every gap...and make sure your audio is all in sync, that nothing slipped. How long this takes depends on how long your sequence is.

Good luck

Feb 19, 2015 12:14 PM in response to Shane Ross

Hi Shane,

Firstly thanks very much for replying to my message. I've gone through the steps you've put down. I created a new sequence, dropped in a clip from the browser and clicked yes to change sequence settings to clip settings. All good. Pasted the old sequence onto new empty sequence. I then looked through the clips on the timeline and clicked on motion tab. Every clip has the same values in the boxes: Upper left -960, -540 Upper right 960, -540 Lower right 960, 540 lower left -960, 540 Aspect ratio 0

Also all the clips seem to be in sync. There were gaps between some of them that weren't there before but otherwise looks ok. Does this sound like the sequence and clip settings is ok?

Thank you very much

BM

FCP7: clip settings don't match easy set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.