Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi! I created a movie on iMovie and transferred it to iDVD, which it successfully burnt to a disc. When I play it on the TV, it cuts out the sides. I'm wondering if there's an easy to fix it, without re-making to fit the safe area? Thanks!

Hi! I created a fairly long movie on iMovie and transferred it to iDVD, which succesfully burnt to a disc. When I play it on the TV, it cuts out the sides. 😟 I realise there's a TV safe zone etc, but I was wondering if there was a way to make it a permanent widescreen in which it stays a widescreen on the TV? I'm not so keen on re-making the movie to fit the area, but if anybody could help that would be amazing! Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 3:44 AM

2 replies

Feb 19, 2015 7:58 AM in response to charliehills

Hello charliehills,

It sounds like you have a project wiht video that is in 16:9 aspect ratio, but when burned and played on your DVD player the ratio is in 4:3 thereby cutting off the sides. There are a couple of possibilities for this. One your tv may be set to play that input for your DVD player is set to 4:3 or Standard rather than 16:9 or widescreen. The second is that the project file may be set to 4:3 rather than 16:9. This article will show you how to check that:

iDVD '09 (7.x): Switching between standard and widescreen formats

Here are ways to change the project format:

Choose Project > Project Info, and then select Standard (4:3) or Widescreen (16:9) from the Aspect Ratio pop-up menu.

Choose Project > “Switch to Standard (4:3)” or “Switch to Widescreen (16:9).”

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Hi! I created a movie on iMovie and transferred it to iDVD, which it successfully burnt to a disc. When I play it on the TV, it cuts out the sides. I'm wondering if there's an easy to fix it, without re-making to fit the safe area? Thanks!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.