Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic downloads: purchases on iPhone not appearing on iPad and vice versa

I've noticed that automatic downloads between these two devices is not working. If I buy/get an app on my iPhone 5, it instantly appears on my MacBook Air, but does not load onto my iPad 3, and vice versa, and if I buy/get something on the iPad it doesn't appear on the 5S.

I've tried logging out of the iTunes Store on all devices and logging back in, logging out of iCloud and back in.

I've checked and double checked the settings. Automatic downloads is enabled on the iPhone and iPad. "Install new apps" is checked in iTunes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 5:15 AM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2015 8:33 AM in response to riffraf

The apps are compatible with the other device e.g. they aren't iPhone (require full phone capability) or iPad only apps ?

With automatic downloads you also apparently need to have Push Notifications enabled on the device, otherwise it won't know that there is a new app to download : Enable Automatic Downloads - Apple Support

If your iOS device has an Internet connection and you enabled push notifications, the content should automatically download. On an associated device that doesn't support Push Notifications, the specified content should automatically appear in the download queue where you can manually start the download within iTunes.

I don't use automatic downloads so I can't confirm that this is the setting that the above refers to (and the page doesn't specify), but on my iPad, which is on iOS 8, I have a Settings > Notifications > App Store > Allow Notifications setting. My iPhone, which is on 7.1.2, doesn't have that setting

Automatic downloads: purchases on iPhone not appearing on iPad and vice versa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.