Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac shuts down when I turn my external hard drive

Hello,

I installed Yosemite 2 days ago, and something when wrong right away: when I turned off my LaCie external hard drive, my 27 inches iMac immediately shuts down (I tried a couple of times), to restart a few seconds later. A message lets me know if I want to send a notice of the problem to Apple (which I did), and then everything is fine. Except its not, and whenever I turn off that hard drive (that is connected through thunderbolt), same thing happens. It never happened with the previous OS, so I hate myself right now for moving onto Yosemite.

Does anyone when through the same thing, and possibly has a fix ? Thanks.

iMac, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 8:46 AM

6 replies

Feb 18, 2015 9:28 AM in response to Kikrok

Hmmm. Did you ever install any external software (i.e. some LaCie installer disk) or something? That's my guess, that you have 3rd party software (which is totally not necessary) which is incompatible with Yosemite and is causing a kernel panic. The solution would be to uninstall the software - it is never necessary to use 3rd party software to use a hard disk, and it can cause system instability and data loss.

If you don't know how find this out, you could download and run a program called 'etrecheck' (just Google it) and post the output here.

Mac shuts down when I turn my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.