Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD Mavericks

I have a copy of ARD 3 and I am trying to install it on my Macbook Air running Mavericks. Obviously, when I launch Remote Desktop, I am getting the message "A newer version of this software already exists on this disk". Of course, if I continue with the install, RD will not work. I trashed RD and tried to install ONLY the Remote Desktop Admin but I still get the same message. Naturally, I want to be able to view and control any Mac on the network. I want the Admin on my MBA.

If a newer version of ARD exists on my disk where is it? If I do a search, only Remote Desktop Connection and Microsoft Remote Desktop comes up. Is there a newer ARD app that I need to download and install?

Again, I want to install ONLY the Admin software on my MBA so I can view and control any Mac on the network.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 8:47 AM

2 replies

Feb 23, 2015 3:41 AM in response to pfisher112

What you're describing is 'normal behaviour'. When trying to install a version of ARD that is not the App Store version on an OS newer than 10.6 (Snow Leopard) you need to copy the application first and then run Software Update.

Steps you take to do this are:

1 Launch the installer

2 Control/Right Click on the 'RemoteDesktop.mpkg' Installer Icon

3 Select 'Show Package Contents'

4 Drill down through the Contents folder to the Installers folder

5 Control/Right click on the 'RemoteDesktopAdmin.pkg'

6 Select 'Show Package Contents'

7 Click on the Contents folder

8 Copy the 'Archive.pax.gz' file to your Desktop

9 double click on the 'Archive.pax.gz' file to unpack the file

10 A finder window will appear displaying an Archive folder containing three folders - Applications, Library, System

11 Click on the Applications folder and copy the Remote Desktop application to the Applications folder on your hard drive

12 Launch Software Update

13 After the update launch Remote Desktop and it should now work as expected

Hopefully that should help?

ARD Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.