Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

School Environment with 12 iPads and 12 AirPlays: Some iPads Connect to AirPlay and Some Do Not

Hello,
I am trying to resolve an issue concerning a K-8 school which has 12 classrooms using an iPad and an AirPlay in each of the classrooms. The teachers are trying to utilize AirPlay mirroring. Some of the teachers are able to use AirPlay mirroring, and some are not. I went through this checklist: "Resolve issues with AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring from iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support", TS4215. None of these suggestions made an impact. I also reboot the router and all wireless access point through the building. All devices are connected to the same network wirelessly. All devices are able to use the internet normally.

I am convinced it is not a problem with our network environment, because all devices (iPads and Airplays) are connected to the same network and have the same network configuration settings. I compared iPads which work on AirPlay with ones that don't, and the configurations are identical except for the IP address: Same network, same DNS, same router, same version of iOS.

I cannot discern why some of the iPads are connecting to AirPlays and others aren't. Teachers report this problem beginning about two weeks ago. Can you help me resolve this issue?

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 9:09 AM

6 replies

Feb 19, 2015 12:49 PM in response to Kenny42

1) As I said, yes, I have made sure all Apple TV's and iPads are up to date.

2) Yes, I took an iPad that won't mirror on AirPlay to a different room with a teacher whose iPad/Apple TV setup is working. It wouldn't play on the Apple TV in that room. Then I took the iPad from that room and tried it in the first room, and the second iPad worked on the first Apple TV. the problem seems to be with some (but not all) of the individual iPads.

3) Yes, all of the Apple TV's are showing up on the AirPlay list.

Feb 20, 2015 5:31 AM in response to alarrea

What happens when you try to connect to the apple tv with one of the iPads that's not working? Are you getting any kind of error? Does it say it's connected to the Apple TV? What happens on the Apple TV when you are attempting to connect? Does the Apple TV stay at the splash screen with the apps or does the screen go black?

Feb 20, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Kenny42

1) I tap on AirPlay and nothing happens on the iPad or on the Apple TV.

2) No error occurs on either the iPad or the Apple TV.

3) There is no confirmation message that the iPad is connected to the Apple TV, the menu simply slides back down.

4&5) Nothing happens on the Apple TV. The screen stays as it is without fading to black.

Is there a number I can call for live troubleshooting while I am in front of the device? The users are at another location several miles away.

Feb 20, 2015 7:54 AM in response to alarrea

1-800-800-APPL

You may have to wait on hold for a while but that's Apple's education support number. They've helped me with numerous issues in the past.

Are your devices supervised or do they have any restrictions profile on them? If not, at this point I'd probably try to restore the iPad and see if that makes a difference. Unless it's a network issue there is really no rhyme or reason why they wouldn't connect to the Apple TV.

School Environment with 12 iPads and 12 AirPlays: Some iPads Connect to AirPlay and Some Do Not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.