Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I received a telephone call asking me to log onto www.teamviewer.com so they could fix my computer virus. I never reported a computer virus. Anybody heard of this? Happened just this afternoon.

I received a telephone call today from someone claiming to be from "Network Technical Department" asking me to log onto www.teamviewr.com so they could help me fix my computer virus. The man refused to identify himself, saying only that his credentials would be revealed when I logged onto the site and pushed the button to join a group session. Of course I refused, but this is not the first time I've received a call like this. I have an Airport Extreme router and there are Microsoft computers on my network besides my Mac. I tried to identify where the call came from, but it was an unknown number. I could hear a lot of other people making the same kind of phonetical in the background. He also claimed they make the calls for Mac and Microsoft when I asked where the 'department' was associated. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 9:54 AM

Bogus call. Forget it and never give any information over the phone.

Barry

5 replies

Feb 18, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Pamels58

Pamels58 wrote:

SNIP ... www. teamviewr.com ...

www.teamviewEr.com is a real deal - cannot vouch for their product, but it is in the iTunes/AppStore

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/teamviewer-remote-control/id692035811?mt=8

Be something if these nefarious folks were actually USING TeamViewerRemote App to invade folk's computers.

It might not hurt to report this here > http://www.apple.com/legal/contact/ - pick [Phishing and SPAM] from the dropdown Menu ??

ÇÇÇ

Feb 18, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Pamels58

These calls are nothing more than the telephone version of web pop ups that claim your computer is infected. There is no software in the world that can diagnose another computer through a web browser. Likewise, there is no call center in the world that can claim, out of the blue, that your computer is infected. Full out baloney.

I had one of those some months back. The person claimed to be calling from Microsoft and saying that my Windows computer was showing as being infected. A pretty good trick when you're using OS X.

I received a telephone call asking me to log onto www.teamviewer.com so they could fix my computer virus. I never reported a computer virus. Anybody heard of this? Happened just this afternoon.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.