Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect Personal Hotspot from iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.3 to a Win 8.1 laptop

I have iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1.3. When I turn on the Personal Hotspot, my Lenovo WIn 8.1 sees it and connects, but there is no internet connection. Note that the same iPhone HotSpot DOES work when I connect to an older Win 7 laptop. And the Win 8.1 laptop connected successfully to a friend's Android phone Hotspot.

My wife's iPhone 6 has the same issue not connecting with the Win 8.1 laptop.Note also that these iPhones were upgraded from iCloud backups of older iPhones (5 and 4).

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 1:20 PM

Hello scottieg,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

So, your Lenovo is not able to use the Personal Hotspot conection from your iPhone, but your older laptop does work? I would suggest the following article for troubleshooting those symptoms.

iOS: Troubleshooting Personal Hotspot - Apple Support

Cheers,

Jeff D.

12 replies

Feb 24, 2015 8:29 AM in response to jeffd55

thank you for your reply Jeff. However, after going through the troubleshooting steps, including re-setting the network, I am still unable to connect. To clarify, it the laptop does connect to the network, but when it does, there is an indicator that there is no internet connection, despite the fact that the iPhone itself says that one device has connected.

Could it have anything to do with proxy settings? The laptop is not set to connect with a proxy setting. Anything related to that on the iPhone?

Mar 1, 2015 11:56 AM in response to scottieg

I also have an identical problem, as ScottieG

I have an iphone 6 plus - O/S 8.1.3 and i cannot connect using a Lenovo G50-30 NOTEBOOK with O/S Windows 8.1

It worked fine until 2 or so weeks ago.

If i use the USB cable - i can no longer use personal hotspot, as a tethered mobile.

I have every update on both notebook, and phone. both are relatively new - christmas notebook, November iphone 6 plus.

I can connect easily using public wifi / using either pc or phone.

i can connect using pc wifi and setting iphone 6 plus as a wifi connection.

bluetooth has never worked with much success, so its not bothered me, however , as much as I've googled to solve the problem - it makes no difference.

Microsoft problem solvers (fixits) does not make any difference.

In desperation, i completely wiped the pc to return it to "zero" that way i could establish if it was a settings or other issue, caused by myself.

Made no difference.

I completely formatted and wiped the iphone 6 plus yesterday, for the same reason - again, made no difference.

I checked the USB cable, just in case, again, made no difference, made no difference, iphone is visible on system, just cannot connect using tether0GB ed method.

I contacted my network provider, to ask if the problem was their doing - they stated no, my contract is 20gb per month - and I'm not even close to using that.

so, anyone got any answers??

Mar 3, 2015 9:05 AM in response to scottieg

ScottieG

I managed to solve my own problem - it might work for you.

I updated all hardware updates, relevant to my model of notebook.

As I'd also wiped my notebook - and reinstalled the O/S - I then updated all windows updates.

I also downloaded a fresh copy of iTunes - and its all working now, as it should.

I'm sure many have advice, but maybe rolling back to a earlier O/S version on the laptop/pc may help,

so that you can at least, pinpoint, what or where, it went wrong?

May 13, 2015 1:32 AM in response to jeffd55

Hi Jeff,

I had the same issue as Scottieg here and had look thorugh the solutions recommended at this very page. I've reset the devices including the iphone 5 but still no remedy. I've raised this question at some android devices cannot connect to iPhone 5 personal hotspot but sadly no one has responded to it. Do let me know if there are solutions to the issue. Thank You very much 🙂

May 13, 2015 1:34 AM in response to scottieg

Hi Scottieg,

I am going through the same issues here and had look thorugh the solutions recomemded at this very page. I've reset the devices including the iphone 5 but still no remedy. I've raised this question at some android devices cannot connect to iPhone 5 personal hotspot but sadly no one has responded to it.

Has your issues been resolved?? Do let me know if there are solutions to the issue. Thank You very much 🙂

Oct 17, 2015 6:30 PM in response to scottieg

I can confirm that the version of the driver supplied with iTunes 12.3 is not working on Windows 8.1 64-bit. I had an older setup exe called iTunes64 instead of iTunes6464, and used WINRAR to extract the AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi and uninstalled the newer one (AppleMobileDeviceSupport6464.msi) and installed the older one. Tethering is now working again.

Dec 9, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Ray Price

My Apple devices can connect to my hotspot. Windows and Android devices can't. Nothing here worked for me. What did work was to not use a password. Then Windows devices can connect. There is a limited connectivity msg but that doesn't mean anything. There really is a connection. It is fast, too. So for me, having a connection when there is a power outage means the world to me. I live in a rural environment so no password is not a big thing. I have an iPhone 6 plus and 8.3

Can't connect Personal Hotspot from iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.3 to a Win 8.1 laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.