Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset computer name and user name of previous owner without installation disk

I purchased a used iMac which has been upgraded to snow leopard 10.6.8 without any install discs. How can I delete previous owner info and replace with mine?

iMac

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 12:04 PM

1 reply

Feb 19, 2015 7:26 AM in response to wchas

If the old owner is the only account, unless you know their password, you won't have the admin privileges required to set up a new account. Try going to System Preferences/Users & Groups and see if you can unlock the padlock. If so, create a new admin account. If not, you will need to purchase an install DVD, erase the hard drive, and set the computer up again. The old owner should have done that for you.

Selling old Mac (4) Apple support

How to reset computer name and user name of previous owner without installation disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.