Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import from Canon 5D Mark 111 to FCP 7

I have footage from Canon 5D that I compressed and have in a Pro Res sequence. FCP 7 When I export, do I uncompress the footage. Any tutorials on this workflow?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Dual 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 12:23 PM

5 replies

Feb 18, 2015 1:51 PM in response to DBLewis

Well...what are you exporting for? The web? DVD? BluRay?

You shouldn't relink to the originals...you already have ProRes files. Those are high resolution and full quality. What you need to do now is export a Self Contained QT movie...so that you have one file that's the entire program, in ProRes. Full quality. And then you compress that for whatever delivery you are doing. You use Compressor or third party converters for this.

But if you want a full quality output....just export a self contained file. There is no reason to go back to the originals. You won't be gaining any quality for doing that.

Although...how did you compress the footage, and what did you compress it to?

Feb 18, 2015 3:23 PM in response to Shane Ross

Shot this footage a year ago on rented Canon. I used compressor and chose apple pro res 422 for progressive material.

It will output to BluRay so Self contained Qt is the way to go.

Although...how did you compress the footage, and what did you compress it to? Did I do the right thing, Canon is progressive footage yes.

Thanks Shane.

Feb 18, 2015 3:36 PM in response to DBLewis

You did the right thing...

As for RAW...well, you'll have to use something like Resolve Lite to convert to ProRes.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/convert-magic-lantern-raw-cinemadng-rawmagic

Or is it RAWMagic? Look at that link. But really, if you are going to shoot current formats, you might seriously consider current editing apps. FCX isn't the only one out there.

Import from Canon 5D Mark 111 to FCP 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.