Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mobile me incoming server not selectable

I'm having issues with Mac Mail. The application will only find new email when I close the program and reopen it.

Also, when I try to set up the MobilMe incoming server, I can't add one because the box is not selectable. Every time I try to same it it tells me that the incoming server box is empty.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 2:41 PM

26 replies

Feb 19, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the reply. I already have an email account from my local cable company. Up until the last week everything has been working fine. All of a sudden I started receiving error messages from Entrourage 2008 when sending emails stating that encryption and singing certificates were out of date. After messing with that problem for hours I decided to install Office 2011 which uses Outlook. Everything installed properly except that Outlook would open, but the layout was not selectable. I messed with that for a few hours. Then I finally resorted to Mac Mail. It works but will only receive emails upon opening.

The information you provided is confusing. I want to use my existing email account but the information you provided does not show how to integrate that with the iCloud information. I can not get this to work and I am at my wits end! Do I even need the iCloud account if I'm using my old email address?

Feb 19, 2015 12:45 PM in response to svaero

Apple email (not speaking of the Mail application) is set up with iCloud. You mentioned a mobile me server. Mobile me was POP and is now integrated with iCloud as IMAP. If you have an Apple email address, sign into iCloud and check the box for mail and it will be set up automatically in the Mail application.

If you are using an outside email address, such as one by your cable provider, ATT, etc., you will need to provide your setup information you are using and your provider name where someone can help you. You may have a setting issue if you can't get it to sync after opening Mail.

Feb 19, 2015 3:09 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Yes, I've checked everything 10 times. I created new mail accounts, changed incoming and outgoing servers, verified connections via Connection Doctor, adjusted preferences. Connection Doctor comes up green for my accounts. I've checked with my provider about my email settings. I've don't it all!

Like I said, I can see all my emails and folders and sending emails works fine. The program just won't receive without restarting the program. If I change something significant in the email settings, it will sometimes receive, but it will only do it once.

Feb 19, 2015 6:32 PM in response to svaero

I do understand that the main problem right now is the fact that you don't get new mail after the mail application first opens. But you also had problems with 2 other mail applications, so I don't know how they all relate. This problem could be caused by many different things including some email providers that don't work well with apple, settings you are using, etc.

Here is something basic to try. Quit all applications and open disk utility. Select your boot volume and click on Repair Permissions. Once done, restart the computer and open Mail. See if it works.

If not, create a new user account for testing and log into that account. Create the mail account in that user account. Test to see if it works there. This will tell you if there is a problem with the user account or not.

Post back with the results so someone can go from there.

Feb 20, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

I did everything as you stated. Repaired Permissions, restarted, created new account and created new email account. I went one step further and reset my email account with my provide. The end result was exactly the same thing.

I then switched back to my original account and all the emails I had generated for testing the new account came in. In the mail program, I went in to account settings and reset my passwords just to be sure. No change. Any new emails do not come in.

Incidentally, when I go into Connection Status there is an account named MobileMe with an account type of iCloud IMAP that shows up red. When I try to delete it it takes me to Internet Accounts. The account does not show up there.

Feb 20, 2015 8:36 AM in response to svaero

Well if the results were the same in the new user account, then that should eliminate any problems with your present user and settings in it. That leads to the fact that it could be a problem in the OS itself globally, or something with the provider itself or mail settings being used.

For the MobileMe failure in Connection Doctor, it is probably a SMTP server. I assume you are not using any ME/iCloud email account. Open Mail's preferences and go to the Accounts tab. Under Account Information, look at the list of SMTP servers. Edit the list and remove any server associated with the MobileMe server. Then go back to Connection Doctor and test again.

Feb 20, 2015 9:53 AM in response to svaero

No problem. You can click the red stop sign if a process is hung up to stop it. What you should see is it connecting to the server, getting new mail and finishing up the process. If you see that going on, it means it is communicating with the server when you hit get mail. The processes sometimes goes pretty quick and is hard to see each and read what each one is doing.

What about the MobileMe problem. Did you find and delete a MobileMe server in Mail?

Feb 20, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

the MobilMe issue is not fixed. When I go to Connection Doctor I see an MobilMe iCloud IMAP item on the left. I also see the iCloud IMAP and my Cox IMAP accounts. When I try to delete the MobileMe item in this window and pop up directs me to Internet Accounts. When I open Internet Accounts the MobileMe item is not there. All that's there is the iCloud, Cox and Messages accounts.

Feb 20, 2015 10:16 AM in response to svaero

Incidentally, this email issue is on my work computer. I'm still trying to work at the same time we're trying to resolve this problem so I apologize if I am slow to respond sometimes. I really need to get this fixed.

Just a thought. I'm running Mavericks at the moment. What if I upgrade to ??(I can never remember the names of the OS systems) the new OS? Think that might correct my problems?

mobile me incoming server not selectable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.