Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old MacBook to new HDMI Monitor Connection

I'm giving my old 2008 MacBook MB403LL/A to my parents (who are using more ancient iMac), but my mother has vision issues. I just bought a new Samsung 22" HDMI monitor to hook up to it and was told all I needed was a USB to HDMI cable. Can't find one anywhere but have found adapter options online. Do I need a 2.0 USB to HDMI adapter and then HDMI cable or can I use 3.0 USB HDMI adapter (will is step down?) and then HDMI cable? Any other options (e.g, Firewire 400 to HDMI)? I've gotten so many different answers I'm completely confused. Prices on adapters and HDMI cables vary DRAMATICALLY. Is there a difference in quality? Thanks for any insight

MacBook (13-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 11:54 AM

Why not use the DVI video output port? You'll need another adapter/cable for audio though.

http://www.amazon.com/forum//ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B001TH7T2U&cdSort=best

7 replies

Feb 21, 2015 8:11 AM in response to richard177

One add'l question, this laptop has a Mini-DVI port, so I presume I have to find a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter? And do I need to be concerned about audio issues since it will just be an extension of the laptop screen? I've got BOOM on the laptop so the sound from its speakers is decent enough. They won't be streaming movies or anything, mostly using the computer for email, Word, Excel, etc.

Old MacBook to new HDMI Monitor Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.