Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled water on keyboard. Help

my mother spilled about a half an oz of water on the keyboard of my macbook pro. now some keys work, some wont. i can't even log into my own computer b/c of it. can i do antyhing about this, or should i just consider it a loss? is this something that can be replaced or fixed?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 9, 2006 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2006 6:12 PM

I would not use it for a couple of days. JUst un[lug it take the battery out and sit it in a warm part of your house, Don't try the oven or the dryer obviously and just give it time. Also I hope that u immediately turned it over when the spill occured as that could really increase the chances of it working again. If it doesn't work after a couple of days of ketting it dry I would take it down to your nearest Apple Store or call Apple. The worst they can say is no we can't fix it. It might be cheaper to fix but I just don't know.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2006 6:12 PM in response to Kashiz

I would not use it for a couple of days. JUst un[lug it take the battery out and sit it in a warm part of your house, Don't try the oven or the dryer obviously and just give it time. Also I hope that u immediately turned it over when the spill occured as that could really increase the chances of it working again. If it doesn't work after a couple of days of ketting it dry I would take it down to your nearest Apple Store or call Apple. The worst they can say is no we can't fix it. It might be cheaper to fix but I just don't know.

Oct 9, 2006 9:30 PM in response to Kashiz

The most painful thing you have done is continued to use your computer after water damage.

This is the golden rule - Shut off your computer immediately, remove the battery, and don't touch it for 3-4 days.

Then turn it on to see what happened.

I don't understand what you mean "i can't even log into my own computer". Does that mean the computer isn't working, or do you need some of those "keys that don't work" to use your login password?

You can go to www.ifixit.com and for a slim price of $100-$200 you can replace your topcase yourself.

It is a rather easy install, remove like 10-16 screws, unplug one cable, and reinstall.

I'd make your mom pay for the new topcase, and you should be fine.

Oct 9, 2006 10:00 PM in response to homertime33

I agree almost 100% - exception: the last upper I bought from iFixit was up to $250, and now they're out of stock. Does anyone know of another good source of Macbook Pro parts?

Webb

PM G5 1.8/A 3GB, MBP 2.16, PM G4 DA , iMac600SE, 9600/G4, Older Macs/OS 7-10.3 Mac OS X (10.4.7) G5 has 2 Raptors, 4X 300GB eSATA. G4 has dual 1.2GHz, 2 X SATA, FW & SCSI drives

Oct 13, 2006 11:33 PM in response to Brian Dages

I have repaired several Apple laptops over the years after spills, going back to the PB 100. I have cleaned up coffee, tea, milk, fruit juices... you name it. If people managed to turn their machines over, get the batteries out and get the mess to me before it dried up I could often get them going with just a cleanup and maybe some work on the hard drive. The Sudden Motion Sensor on the later models usually saves hard drive damage.

I've never seen corrosion from plain water, but if you let things like tomato juice or milk sit inside for a day or two all bets are off, except that you can repair anything if you want to spend the money. As a general rule, spills are extremely adverse events where warranty is concerned. In other words, forget it.

Webb

PM G5 1.8/A 3GB, MBP 2.16, PM G4 DA , iMac600SE, 9600/G4, Older Macs/OS 7-10.3 Mac OS X (10.4.7) G5 has 2 Raptors, 4X 300GB eSATA. G4 has dual 1.2GHz, 2 X SATA, FW & SCSI drives

Dec 27, 2006 6:12 PM in response to Jo-Ann-Webb

My Uncle was using my computer the other day and spilled beer on the keyboard. I immediately unplugged everything, removed the battery and turned the computer upside-down. I let the beer drip out of the keyboard and after it was done dripping, used a can of compressed air to push the remaining liquids to the sides of the keyboard where I could mop the rest up with a paper towel. I then let it sit upside-down overnight. I turned it on the next day and to my surprise, everything worked! However, when the backlight turned on only the middle of the keyboard was as bright as it usually was. The rest of the keyboard was lit but very dimly. How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro 15" Mac OS X (10.4.8) Intel Core Duo, 2GHz, 80 GB, 512MB (Soon to be upgraded) About 4 months old

Spilled water on keyboard. Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.