Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac 10.6.3 won't restart after software update

I just installed Snow Leopard on my mac and that was successful. I went to do a software update afterwards (hoping to move up to 10.6.8) and it went through, but when the computer had to restart, it would just shut down, and reboot to the purple-ey space-ey background image....and just stay there.. The computer will shut down fine by holding the power button, and it will start up fine. It's just after the software update, that it will not restart fully. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 3:33 PM

38 replies

Jul 29, 2017 9:52 PM in response to Csound1

I came across this problem again recently until my memory was jogged. I have a theory about why this is happening but check me on it.

I believe that it's the old version of Safari from the original install DVD that software update attempts to use. As soon as the more recent version of Safari is installed manually, the remaining updates install and the mac restarts normally. I had an "ah ha!" moment about this but can't remember exactly what I saw or did now that made me so convinced that old Safari is the problem.

I could be way off base but thanks for humoring me.

Sep 15, 2017 9:39 AM in response to elsiemcclintock

i am having same problem with a LATE OCTOBER EDITION Mac Book Pro. I installed a new SSD 3G Mercury Electra from macsales.com and wanted to let my brother use it, but 2 times now it wanted to UPDATE and its stuck same purple screen as yours. I do not understand WHY APPLE would do this to the UNIBODY Customers that bought the New Unibody with GLASS SCREENS. I can understand the ones before but all the ones with glass screens should be able to update. I tried to update on a 240SSD 3G mercury electra but i could not get SIERRA it said that i had to remain with what OS X i had at the TIME which was the one before SEIRRA, macOS Sierra (version 10.12) is the thirteenth major release of macOS (previously OS X), Apple Inc.'s desktop and server operating system for Macintosh computers. The successor to OS X El Capitan, it is the first version of the operating system issued under the June 2016 rebranding as macOS.

So now i do not know what to do Should i trash this Computer.??? I don't get it. We should not be having these types of Problems with the unibodies after 2008 and later with the glass screens. I do realize apple want's us to BUY new MAC's all the time which i do, and i have 6. I get a new iMac 5K and a NEW MAC BOOK PRO RETINA every 3 years when the apple care is up i buy new ones. I have had 10 so far to date. I just feel like this should not be happening to the 2008 Glass Screen ones yet. It's was to soon. Sorry APPLE. But this is one thing i don't understand. Maybe you can shed some light on this issue, cause it doesn't seem FAIR and i am not TRASHING my 2008 Late OCT edition MBP yet.

Sep 15, 2017 10:05 AM in response to elsiemcclintock

It used to be that you only needed a LARGER size hard drive like more GB's. You would think in a 2008 Late October Edition w/ a Glass screen could update without any problems when you max out your RAM to 8GB though apple said this machine 5,1 could only hold 6GB max, mac sales said you can max it out to 8GB of Ram. So having maxed out the RAM to 8GB and putting in a SSD 3G Mercury Elite of any size should allow this Mac Book Pro to update without any issues. someone told me it might be the PROCESSOR that won't allow you to update to SIERRA. But you should be able to update the Software it needs in EL CAPATAIN without FREEZING UP on the RESTART. When i had my previous 240GB SSD Mercury Electra installed no problems. I always got updates when needed and restarted without any issue now i put in a smaller 60 GB SSD 3G mercury electra and now all of the sudden massive problems with installing new updates. Makes no sense.

Apr 4, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Lanny

I am having the same problem with my iMac and will try this when we get home. Did it work for you?

Ours is a 2008 and was given to us by a friend. I took it to the genius bar with a different problem and replaced the RAM but it still has this problem? Hopefully this will work for me!

I don't want to hijack the thread with my problem but will outdated software also effect gmail not being able to be recognized when I try to set it up or iTunes not recognizing my phone when I plug it in?

Apr 4, 2015 7:57 AM in response to elsiemcclintock

I am having the same problem with my iMac and will try this when we get home. Did it work for you?

Ours is a 2008 and was given to us by a friend. I took it to the genius bar with a different problem and replaced the RAM but it still has this problem? Hopefully this will work for me!

I don't want to hijack the thread with my problem but will outdated software also effect gmail not being able to be recognized when I try to set it up or iTunes not recognizing my phone when I plug it in?

Apr 4, 2015 9:09 AM in response to txpilot1979

I don't want to hijack the thread with my problem

But you are. You can avoid that by starting your own posting. The original poster has never responded, since Feb 18th, to anyone, so it is unlikely that he would respond to you.

If a friend gave you the iMac with Lion on it, he most likely didn't give you his Apple ID and password either, because that is what you would need to do future updates. Your copy of Lion is most likely licensed to the previous owner, not you. He should have given you the Mac with it's original disks and the original OS X version installed.

When you post your own issue, you can reward those that help you by awarding points. That won't work when you hijack someone else's thread, because only the original poster can award points. Thus you're removing an incentive for anyone wanting to answer your replies. Not to mention that it waters down the intent go the original issue as more and more variables are added to the thread.

mac 10.6.3 won't restart after software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.