Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

google warning flash player needs updating

safari opens with http:www.google.com WARNING! Your Flash Player may be out of date. Please update to continue. Need help!...is this a virus?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 7:40 PM

14 replies

Feb 18, 2015 8:05 PM in response to Truck9

I find it difficult to believe that Google would be testing for the existence of Flash, much less its version - or displaying Flash content on the search page or even the results page. I use Firefox that disables Flash and all other Plug-ins and I NEVER get a peep from Google. I would take a look at The Safe Mac site and search there for [ Flash Google ] - if there is known malware, you will find help there from our pal thomas_r.

ÇÇÇ

Feb 19, 2015 10:05 AM in response to thomas_r.

I am certainly confused, if not ignorant. What puzzles me is the correlation - if any - between visiting Google and the Alert appearing. If this was merely a browser or OSX checking for updates periodically, wouldn't it happen when the browser launched, not when visiting any particular website?

I appreciate your continuing efforts and hope for your words of wisdom - at your convenience, of course.

best regards

ÇÇÇ

Feb 19, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Niel

Thanks Niel - Crystal Clear! (pretty much) - so:

• Flash is lurking in the background,
  • running all the time,
  • just waiting for a "Venue" such as a browser session to "Load" and display its message that an update is available?

this why an HTML5 compliant browser that disables plug-ins will never display the message, even though Flash exists on the device?

I guess this is why thomas_r and many others feel that Flash is an unnecessary evil and should not be installed.

I am glad for HTML5 and cannot wait until all content distributors (website authors) adopt it. Apple needs to address its use of QT for this reason, true?

*I remember when Flash was meant so one could create vector animations deliverable over dial-up - I loved "Blender Frog" and other Joe Cartoons

User uploaded file

Thanx agin, Sensei

ÇÇÇ

Feb 19, 2015 11:36 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Thanks Niel - Crystal Clear! (pretty much) - so:

• Flash is lurking in the background,
  • running all the time,
  • just waiting for a "Venue" such as a browser session to "Load" and display its message that an update is available?
  • this why an HTML5 compliant browser that disables plug-ins will never display the message, even though Flash exists on the device?

No, Flash is an Internet plugin, it only loads when a browser calls for its use, as Niel previously stated, "It isn't loaded by the browser until needed."

Feb 19, 2015 11:38 AM in response to thomas_r.

👿 So you are saying that the venerable software giant Adobe Products, Inc. is stooping to legitimize itself by falsely associating itself with the data collection and selling giant (disguised as a Search Engine) Google. <[ not a question, but a statement ] 👿

Very well then.

BTW, you are an 大先生 (ōsensei - Great Teacher) in my book too!

buenos tardes, amigo

ÇÇÇ

Feb 19, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny

Just as I thought I had it straight...

So a website's page - such as Google's < https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl > (I open a new TAB in Firefox and type " g " and wait a beat for the History to give me this - no bookmark necessary) - that has NO Flash content present (today's has an Animation, that if it WAS Flash, it would be playing in HTML5 - but is a GIF) - Flash is not "called" into action, but yet still reminds one of the need for update? - which in Firefox, it does not, as Flash, along with QT (et al), is disabled on Firefox Launch.

The <embed> code of a web page has all the scripts regarding testing for Flash's presence and the Plug-in's Settings (has a User Preference {stored in a '.plist' likely labelled with "macromedia" in the filename} for checking for updates) - this is my recollection from 'once upon a time' when I actually authored webpages with Flash & QT content - video, animations & ShockWave Director.

So no Flash Content = no embed code = no setting for update checking in the Plug-in that is not invoked?

Still Puzzling... to me 😕

best regards, mi amigo nuevo

ÇÇÇ

May 23, 2015 9:50 AM in response to Truck9

Hey Buddy, Did you get any solution for this.

Suddenly I started getting exactly the same problem on my Mac air, on both safari and chrome, only for google.com and youtube.com. My other laptop on windows runs fine, so this probably not some router issue as mentioned on other site.

Hope you got your way out of this by now, can you share ?

Thanks

google warning flash player needs updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.