Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to boot Mac mini (Mid 2010)

I have a Mac mini (Model #A1347, Mid 2010) that I use as a server in a home network. It is running Yosemite. Now I am unable to boot the machine. I disconnected it from my home network and connected the HDMI to a TV. I have no keyboard other than an Apple bluetooth one and it is paired with another computer.

When I try to boot the Mac mini I see the Apple icon with a progress bar beneath it. The progress bar shows no more than 20% completion before the Mac mini simply shuts down.

I discovered that if I hold down the power button for about 10 seconds the indicator light on the front of the computer starts flashing rapidly for a brief period and when the flashing stops I move my finger away from the power button. I thought I might have been resetting the PRAM by this method. At any rate, it didn't help me restart the computer.

If the keyboard were paired with the Mac mini, maybe there is something I could do at the keyboard to give me some control over the boot process. Maybe I need to buy a USB keyboard.

Maybe someone can suggest something to try to get my Mac mini working again.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mid 2010

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 8:36 PM

8 replies

Feb 19, 2015 1:43 AM in response to Paul Johnson13

Reset the SMC

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Unpair the BT KB from the other comnputer and try to use it on the problem computer to do the following:

Reset the NVRAM

About NVRAM and PRAM

Next try to boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk using Disk Utility. If still problem reinstall the OS

OS X: About OS X Recovery

OS X Yosemite: Reinstall OS X

Next get a USB KB and try the above. You can use PC KB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970299

Feb 20, 2015 10:11 AM in response to lllaass

Illaas, thanks for your reply. I have been unable to recover or reinstall Yosemite on my Mac mini even with your tips.

I reset the SMC, which for a Mac mini according to the link you supplied, amounted to unplugging the power for the Mac mini for 15 seconds, then plugging in the power cord and waiting 5 seconds before pushing the power button.

For the Mac mini, to reset the NVRAM I just held the Option, Command, P and R keys down when powering up the Mac mini, keeping the keys depressed until the 2nd set of startup chimes. (I did buy an inexpensive USB keyboard and I also used a USB mouse -- no Bluetooth devices.)

The third step (OS X Recovery) failed. The supplied link directed me to restart the Mac mini with the Command and R keys depressed, but this didn't work. By trial and error I used Option + Command + R and this got me further. I was able to download something from the Internet and eventually got to a screen that let me run Disk Utility. Disk Utility failed and directed me to save files (If only I could) and reinstall Mac OS X.

I tried installing Mac OS X from the Internet (another option from the list that included running Disk Utility), but that failed. It somehow only let me install Leopard, which may have been the original system on the Mac mini. There was no option to install Yosemite. Yesterday I created an Installation USB flash drive for Yosemite but I have found no way of using that drive to install Yosemite on my Mac mini.

So, I'm currently at a dead end. Perhaps you can suggest something. I'm going to make a "Genius Bar" appointment at the local Apple store and see if I can get advice there, and I will continue experimenting until the appointment.

Feb 20, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Paul Johnson13

Your Mini's firmware was updated fro Internet Recovery

Option + Command + R

SInce Disk utility failed that means your HD failed and has to be replaced. You can do it yourself. It is not that hard

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2010_hd/

This:

I tried installing Mac OS X from the Internet (another option from the list that included running Disk Utility), but that failed. It somehow only let me install Leopard, which may have been the original system on the Mac mini.

Does not make sense since Internet Recovery should get you Mountain Lion, the first OSX that was downloadable. Previous OSXs were DVD only.

You also said

Yesterday I created an Installation USB flash drive for Yosemite but I have found no way of using that drive to install Yosemite on my Mac mini.

You should be able to boot from the bootable Yosemite install media by holding the Option key during bootup and select the bootable Yosemite media. However, since Internet recovery could not repair the HD you have to replace the HD before yo can install another OS.

Feb 20, 2015 11:35 AM in response to lllaass

Yes, Mountain Lion, not Leopard. Sorry, I mixed up my cats. 🙂

Before I go off and buy a replacement SATA drive, I should clarify what I meant by "Disk Utility failed": Disk Utility does indeed run, and when I try to perform a Repair function it appears to encounter problems in the file system that are not recoverable. I was trying to imagine how this might have occurred. I don't have a monitor attached so I don't see anything displayed by the system. Also, I had not disabled automatic system updates. Suppose the system was performing an update when the Mac mini was shutdown. If the system update was incomplete, perhaps that could have left the file system in an abnormal state. I do have a UPS battery backup so if power was interrupted it is supposed to keep the Mac mini running for a while. I also have a flaky Apple Extreme router (or perhaps a flaky DSL modem) that has been giving me intermittent problems for several months. (I get an amber light on the Apple Extreme router.) So, perhaps the router or modem contributed to the Mac mini failure. I'm just throwing these comments out in case you might conclude, based on this new information, that the disk is not in need of replacement.

Thanks for your quick replies. After hearing back from you, I'll order a new disk if it's indicated.

Feb 20, 2015 5:02 PM in response to lllaass

I brought the Mac mini to a Genius at the local Apple Store. The fellow ran some diagnostics and the disk checked out okay. However, the system on the disk was not bootable. He reformatted and re-installed Mac OS and the system is now functioning fine. I don't know how the disk got clobbered in the first place, nor do I know why I was unable to use the Yosemite Installation flash drive I had created. I still need to reinstall Server but otherwise the Mac mini is functioning okay now. Thanks to Illaass for the suggestions.

Feb 21, 2015 6:52 AM in response to lllaass

I created a Yosemite USB Installation flash drive using a program that comes with Yosemite:

Create a bootable installer for OS X Mavericks or Yosemite - Apple Support\

I know of one other 3rd party, free, program that supposedly does this, and for at least one earlier Mac OS version I used it. I went with the Apple program this time.

When I get past my Mac mini server issues I will find some time to understand why I was unable to install Yosemite using the flash drive I created. I'll post any results on this thread. (It may be a while.)

Unable to boot Mac mini (Mid 2010)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.