Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant open the Aperture Library on my external hard drive

I have backed up my Hard drive using Time Machine including my Aperture Library however I can not open the library on the external drive as a dialog pops up informing me that I don't ave any permissions. Aperture then closes. Read write permissions for the library seem to be fine

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, iMac 27 8Gb RAM 1Tb Hard Drive

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 1:13 AM

6 replies

Feb 19, 2015 12:14 PM in response to dewifromaberystwyth

This is new to me, but how does one restore the library out of TM, sorry to be so thick. What Im trying to do is to free up hard drive space on my iMac. I have over 500GB of photos in one library. Once I have backed up the files I would like to delete the Library on the iMac and then proceed create a new library.

What is the best procedure to do this.

Feb 19, 2015 8:14 PM in response to dewifromaberystwyth

dewifromaberystwyth wrote:

What is the best procedure to do this.

Don't use Time Machine to copy a Library.

Just copy your Library (it's a file; copy files using the Finder) to any locally-mounted (i.e.: not networked) drive, then double-click the Library name in a Finder window. This will opened the copied Library (perforce from its location on the external drive) and let the OS and Aperture know that it is the Library you wish to use. Confirm that it is complete and works correctly, then delete the "old" Library on your system drive. Note that you should include the external drive in your back-up practice.

The external drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Format drives using the OS X bulit-in program Disk Utility.

Post back if you still get permissions denials.

As always, _never_ use any computer file without having a back-up available.

Cant open the Aperture Library on my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.