Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My magic mouse keeps disconnecting from my iMac

While I am typing, my mouse disconnects. A few seconds later, and it has been as long as a full minute, it reconnects. Batteries are new. The mouse is about two feet from the iMac. Sure would like to know how to fix this.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 5:55 AM

Troubleshooting wireless mouse and keyboard issues

12 replies

Feb 19, 2015 7:03 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the link. It seemed to help but just as I clicked to get to this site the cursor/mouse disconnected again. I've done everything suggested by the link that you sent. I am at my wits end at this point. I'll keep trying to find out if there is something interfering with the signal. Do you by chance know where the antenna/receiver is on the iMac?

Feb 19, 2015 9:25 AM in response to pkcid

How long have you had this mouse. When did you last change the batteries. What was the state of the batteries you removed?

It may be that the terminals inside the battery compartment are soiled and need a thorough cleaning. Then do the same to the battery terminals because if the compartment terminals were soiled you could have contaminated the new batteries. While the batteries are out, it is also worth cleaning the sensor with a cotton bud dampened, but not wet, with white vinegar. Leave it to dry before reconnecting everything.

Feb 19, 2015 11:45 AM in response to ByronHinson

Well Bryan, it only lasted for about half an hour. So then I decided to read all the above and seventy one suggested cleaning the contacts inside the mouse. When I looked at them closely with a flashlight I saw that they were pretty crummy. I cleaned them with a q tip and so far no problems. Time will tell.🙂

Nov 26, 2015 9:26 AM in response to pkcid

I have had this problem for 5 years. I have searched the internet for solutions, tried all sorts of things, even bought a new mouse. I have finally found the solution and it is so simple and why Apple couldn't actually supply this information I have no idea. Do not use Duracell batteries. They are, apparently, just marginally shorter than other brands - not enough to normally cause a problem, but with the magic mouse it causes lost connection. Since changing to another brand I have had no problems whatsoever.

Nov 26, 2015 10:13 AM in response to nelle96

Amazing and makes perfect sense to me. I noticed as long as I treat the mouse with gentle movements, instead of rough movements, it doesn't disconnect much as it used to. After reading your solution...........the Duracell batteries inside, being marginally shorter, are moving around inside the mouse. Excellent catch Nelle96. Many thanks. I'll get non Duracell batteries tomorrow.

My magic mouse keeps disconnecting from my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.