Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dark clips after reinstall of FCP 7

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with my problem.

Since the only program I´m using in FCS 3 is FCP 7 I decided to remove everything else and just reinstall FCP 7 on my mac mini i5 2012.with Mavericks

I Used FCP remover to delete everything and after that I did a custom install of FCP7 and I did update the program via Program update to 7.03.

When everything was done I used Preference Manager to delete FCP preference and used my "backup prefs"

The problem is that now every clip is very dark both on the the timeline and canvas and viewer.

It´s like every clip is underexposed by 2-3 stops.

I just don´t understand what has happened.

The program worked fine before reinstall and it is the same computer and screen and now the clips are dark

It´s only the clips that are dark the program itself is OK

Does anyone have a clue?

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Hans

Ps I tested to change the gamma from 2.2 to 1.8 in user prefs in FCP but that did not change anything .DS

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 4:17 AM

12 replies

Feb 19, 2015 11:21 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Bingo That was it

The problem came from using Pref-man from my old install from Snow Leopard.

I moved FCP 3 from my old computer to my new with Pref-manager and it seems to have worked up until I did a clean install on

Mavericks.

I did a test with a new clean install and did not use Pref.man and only adjusted the gamma on playback as you suggested and it worked.

I have now made a new backup with Pref-man and called it Mavericks and it works.

THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH for your help

Cheers and greetings from Stockholm

Hans

Ps. I should have my import gamma set to "source" right?

Feb 20, 2015 6:23 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Well I´m sad to say that my problems persist in a way.

Everything is OK until I enable "Range Check" under View meny then the canvas goes back to being dark on

"Stop" and when playing the timeline it is bright again and when I disable R C the darkness disappear and everything is OK.

Full Screen is OK

The sad thing is that I always use Range Check so I really need it.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be this time ?

Cheers

Hans

Sep 11, 2015 7:01 PM in response to Stockholm

Check that your computer's System Prefs for Displays are correct.

This issue–where the clips are suddenly too dark and contrasty in the Timeline–can often be fixed by going to System Prefs>Displays>Color and changing the color back to whatever it should be (iMac, Mac LCD, personal calibration, sRGB, whatever) because some app install has hijacked the monitor prefs and installed its own calibration.

I had this issue today with some BlackMagic apps that I had installed last month. I had not opened FCP since then, and i had the same problem with dark clips that looked fine elsewhere. My prefs had been hijacked to HD-709 rather than my standard calibration. i put it back and everything was fine.

Dark clips after reinstall of FCP 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.