Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Got a virus, always getting pop-ups saying to "clean mac" and people may be hacking my computer. How can I clean and restart my whole mac over?

I have an updated Mac OS X version 10.6.8 with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory.

My boyfriend and I were trying to stream a show and he ended up clicking a pop-up, and some more pop-ups, which has now lead my computer to be slow and consistently have more and more pop-ups.

I just want to clean the whole computer and make sure no one can get access my personal and finance information. And I would really like to stop the pop-ups!!! It worked perfectly fine before.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 6:59 AM

1 reply

Feb 19, 2015 7:15 AM in response to kseddy

You don't have a virus. Nobody is hacking your computer. You don't need to clean your Mac.

The problem is here: "My boyfriend and I were trying to stream a show". You installed malware from a dodgy site, which was probably pretending to be a video player or similar.

Run AdwareMedic to identify and remove the malware. Stay away from the site you originally visited.

Matt

Got a virus, always getting pop-ups saying to "clean mac" and people may be hacking my computer. How can I clean and restart my whole mac over?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.