Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Aperture library needs to be upgraded" - I don't own Aperture!

On my MacBook Pro, an "Aperture library needs to be upgraded" message pops up when I try to open my iPhoto library that I have stored on an external hard drive. I have no desire to spend $80 on the program nor do I need it for any reason. Is there any way to open my iPhoto library without purchasing it? I've never even heard of the program until the message popped up yesterday afternoon. Please help, I have years worth of photos on it that I now have no access to unless I spend $80 on a program that's about to be taken off of the App Store. I don't know if somewhere along the line I unknowingly saved the library as an Aperture library, or if the recent update to iPhoto affected my main library but either way this was not my intention.
User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 8:46 AM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2015 12:51 PM in response to mariahrand

Reformatting will erase everything. You will need to move the files temporarily to a different location, if you want to format the drive.

Or could you move the iPhoto Library to your internal drive? Is there enough space?

This link explains how to reformat a drive for Aperture, but the procedure is the same for iPhoto: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture - Apple Support

"Aperture library needs to be upgraded" - I don't own Aperture!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.