Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro WIFI hardware problems

I have a late 2011 MBP (MacBookPro8,1) and for the past 6 months I have been having trouble with the WIFI randomly turning off and then not being able to be turned back on until I restart the computer (and even then it still sometimes will not work). In these instances, if I press the "Turn WIFI ON" button nothing happens at all.

What I have tried so far (the problem persists through all of it)

1) reset routers and tried on different networks

2) upgraded my OS from 10.7 to 10.10

3) replaced the internal airport card

4) reset PRAM and whatever other things people suggested to reset in online forums

5) different combinations of deactivating WIFI, deleting it, restarting, re-adding it reactivating it, etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like this must be a hardware problem that is something other than the internal wireless card (I replaced it).

I do not want to replace my MBP yet so any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), MacBookPro8,1

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 5:02 AM

It was the ribbon cable that is connected to the airport card. I removed the cable and sprayed both ends with some canned air, as well as the sockets it plugs into, and that seems to have solved the problem. Also, this cable can be replaced for less than $10 on ebay.

to remove the ribbon cable, follow instructions 1-5 of the follwoing link, and then simply peal back the tape on the other end of the cable to remove it completely.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Late+2011+AirPort+Bluet ooth+Board+Replacement/7650

Good luck.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2015 5:02 AM in response to afmars

It was the ribbon cable that is connected to the airport card. I removed the cable and sprayed both ends with some canned air, as well as the sockets it plugs into, and that seems to have solved the problem. Also, this cable can be replaced for less than $10 on ebay.

to remove the ribbon cable, follow instructions 1-5 of the follwoing link, and then simply peal back the tape on the other end of the cable to remove it completely.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Late+2011+AirPort+Bluet ooth+Board+Replacement/7650

Good luck.

MacBook Pro WIFI hardware problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.