Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete Dropbox from my Mac?

How do I delete Dropbox from my Mac? I have followed all instructions on the Dropbox website. When I try to drag the application to the trash, it states I can not as "some of its plug-ins are still in use".

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 10:19 AM

The above methods may not delete the application but delete other stuff. Telling you that "The plugins" are still on use. For that, you will have to go to the extensions. Go to it like this: Click on the 'Dropbox application' then click spacebar for a view of it. Then click the box with the arrow coming out of it. You will see some options, click "more..." Look at all plugins or extensions. Now find dropbox in that extension box and uncheck mark it. (My Dropbox was using Finder.) Now you can delete it.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2016 10:19 AM in response to efromgranbury

The above methods may not delete the application but delete other stuff. Telling you that "The plugins" are still on use. For that, you will have to go to the extensions. Go to it like this: Click on the 'Dropbox application' then click spacebar for a view of it. Then click the box with the arrow coming out of it. You will see some options, click "more..." Look at all plugins or extensions. Now find dropbox in that extension box and uncheck mark it. (My Dropbox was using Finder.) Now you can delete it.

Feb 19, 2015 8:51 AM in response to efromgranbury

Reboot into Safe Mode too, delete it and I assume along with the app are other elements you may have to search for, such as any plug-in it installed or use?

If so, they should have created an uninstall/installer.

Uninstalling Dropbox will not delete your Dropbox account or remove the files in your Dropbox folder from your hard drive.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/41

1. Quit Dropbox (click on the Dropbox icon from the menu bar, click on the gear icon, and then select "Quit Dropbox").
  2. Drag-and-drop Dropbox to the trash from your Applications folder.
  3. Your Dropbox folder and its contents will remain intact. However, if you'd like to remove that as well, you can drag and drop your Dropbox folder to the trash.

Uninstalling the Dropbox contextual menu:

1. Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G).
  2. A dialog box should appear. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:
    /Library
  3. Delete the DropboxHelperTools folder by moving it to the Trash.

(Optional) Removing your Dropbox application settings:

1. Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G).
  2. A dialog box should appear. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:
    ~/.dropbox
  3. Remove your Dropbox application system settings by selecting all files in the folder and dragging and dropping them into the trash.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=uninstall+dropbox+mac

How do I delete Dropbox from my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.