Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Mac Newbie- needs help- not tech savy!

I am a MAC Newbie. Until 3 days ago have never used a desk top that wasn't internet explorer- I hooked up my epson printer( all in one xp 610 ) wirelessly to my iMac OS X 10.9.5.2.7 intel core i5 I scanned in a document- and it was made as jpeg. I attached it to an email and the person could not print it out. Obviously I need to change the type of document I feel like I didn't install it right- b/c I can't find the printer/scanner icon( it was auto created on my HP). I tried spot light, launch pad, finder- maybe I'm not using the right terms? I am not tech savy so I do get confused when reading troubleshooting on the epson website. I do have the printer's disk- when I put it in it takes me to os x drivers and links. the printer requirements say Apple Mac OS x 10.5.8 10.6.8. 10.7x 10.8x I am hopelessly confused😕 and could use some tutorials that may help

.BTW We use ATT U verse internet w/ wireless. With our old computer we used a d-link router b/c the computer is in a front room and the UVERSE main box in the back) we do not have a d link router hooked up to this computer. I did plug the d link into this IMAC but the d-link will not light( so I disconnected it)- i didn't take apart the old system- so is it possible that I don't have the d- link completely hooked up? All I see is the router and a usb plug The ATT person hooked it up when we changed providers about 3 years ago. I feel like an idiot. Thanks

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9), intel core i5

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 10:05 AM

Hi kitkat

Welcome to the discussions!

The one and only problem you've mentioned is that you've scanned an image as a JPEG rather than another format. Is that right? If that's the only problem, let's focus on that - the AT&T/UVerse modems/routers should have nothing to do with it, provided your computer can communicate with your printer/scanner.

A JPEG is a standard file format. It's universal. That means that, provided nothing else went wrong, the person you emailed the image to should have been able to print it out. Can you go into more detail as to what their problem was - perhaps it was very pixellated (low resolution)?

Generally, there are two methods of scanning something in.

Method 1 - you press a button (or series of buttons) on the scanner itself, and the image gets sent to your computer automatically.

Method 2 - you run software on the computer to scan in the image.

Method 1 is usually fastest, but often doesn't let you customize the scan (ie, change the size, format, etc).

Method 2 can be more complicated but does allow you to make changes to the scanned format.

You shouldn't need to install extra software to get this working. Let's start this way.

1. Go to System Preferences. You can get there by clicking the Apple menu on the top left, and clicking System Preferences

2. Click "Printers & Scanners". On the left, click your printer. You'll see two tabs on the right - Print and Scan. Click Scan and click Open Scanner.

3. When the Scanner app opens, you can actually add it to your dock for later use so you don't have to go through System Preferences again. Hold your mouse down on the dock icon, and click Options, then Keep in Dock.

4. You will see a lot of options on the scanner window. One is "format" - this can be JPG, PDF, etc. PDF is recommended for documents.

5. Try a few different scans with different settings, and see where you get. For documents, PDF format, and resolution set to 100 dpi should be fine.

Post back if you have any trouble.

Matt

Matt

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2015 10:05 AM in response to kitkat1982

Hi kitkat

Welcome to the discussions!

The one and only problem you've mentioned is that you've scanned an image as a JPEG rather than another format. Is that right? If that's the only problem, let's focus on that - the AT&T/UVerse modems/routers should have nothing to do with it, provided your computer can communicate with your printer/scanner.

A JPEG is a standard file format. It's universal. That means that, provided nothing else went wrong, the person you emailed the image to should have been able to print it out. Can you go into more detail as to what their problem was - perhaps it was very pixellated (low resolution)?

Generally, there are two methods of scanning something in.

Method 1 - you press a button (or series of buttons) on the scanner itself, and the image gets sent to your computer automatically.

Method 2 - you run software on the computer to scan in the image.

Method 1 is usually fastest, but often doesn't let you customize the scan (ie, change the size, format, etc).

Method 2 can be more complicated but does allow you to make changes to the scanned format.

You shouldn't need to install extra software to get this working. Let's start this way.

1. Go to System Preferences. You can get there by clicking the Apple menu on the top left, and clicking System Preferences

2. Click "Printers & Scanners". On the left, click your printer. You'll see two tabs on the right - Print and Scan. Click Scan and click Open Scanner.

3. When the Scanner app opens, you can actually add it to your dock for later use so you don't have to go through System Preferences again. Hold your mouse down on the dock icon, and click Options, then Keep in Dock.

4. You will see a lot of options on the scanner window. One is "format" - this can be JPG, PDF, etc. PDF is recommended for documents.

5. Try a few different scans with different settings, and see where you get. For documents, PDF format, and resolution set to 100 dpi should be fine.

Post back if you have any trouble.

Matt

Matt

Feb 19, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Matt Clifton

In typical fashion... my IMAC savy daughter did a HOH with me- and showed me what you posted.( she uses Macs at school) Thanks. I swear yesterday/last night I could not make things work. , and I could not get to the screen that both you and she directed. sigh.

Did I say I feel like an idiot? LOL

I do have a question about the router- and my daughter doesn't know- is it something that we need for this wifi enabled computer since we have wifi in house? What is the purpose of the router? does it help boost wifi ?

Thanks!

I Mac Newbie- needs help- not tech savy!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.