Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Connect Mac To The Internet

Hi -

I have a Mid-2009 15-inch Macbook Pro running on OSX10.9.1. The Mac doesn't connect to my DSL router at all via WiFi. I have other devices in the house and they don't have any issues connecting to the internet - so all good on the router side. I have searched several threads on this issue and have tried a few things, no luck.

My WiFi status has a '!' in it. No bars. I have tried the 'Renew DHCP Lease' option. Also removing and adding the AP Name/password. It says that I've got a self-assigned IP (169.254.x.x). Not sure where it gets that from. The other devices in the house that works have a local IP (192.168.x.x). Everything has been configured to use 'DHCP' - the settings, as far as my eye can see are the same.

I also tried connecting a LAN cable, just hoping that I can get rid of the WiFi problem. Even the Ethernet doesn't connect. Same public IP. Status color: orange.

Any clues as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 10:08 AM

2 replies

Feb 19, 2015 1:00 PM in response to tellrupesh

When you see an exclamation point in the Wi-Fi menu, first turn Wi-Fi off and back on. Disconnect all USB devices except keyboard and mouse, if applicable. If it still fails to connect, then from the menu bar, select

System Preferences... Network

Click the Assist me button and select Assistant. Follow the prompts. You may get a warning that Wi-Fi is not available, that you're too far from the base station, or that you're using the wrong password.

Assuming that you've ruled out those possibilities, restart the computer and try again. If there's no change, click the lock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane and authenticate, if necessary. From the Location menu at the top of the window, select Edit Locations. A sheet will drop down. Click the plus-sign button to create a new location. Give it any name you want. In the new location, set up the Wi-Fi service with the same settings you used before. Click Apply and test.

If there's still no connection, and if you have control of the router, compare its settings to Apple's recommendations. Some third-party routers may be incompatible in 802.11b/g/n radio mode. Try setting the mode to 802.11n only.

Cannot Connect Mac To The Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.