Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fans spinning up and down

Hello @ all,

I've got a Mac Pro 4.1 (2009, Quad-Core, 8Gb, Yosemite) and just changed the old default graphics card to a Radeon HD7870.

Works fine, but the fans of my Mac have got crazy.. They are spinning up and down all the time.. (Can't tell if it is a specific fan, but it isn't the one of my graphics card!) so they are spinning up and after one or two seconds spin down again.. Again and again.. Very annoying!

Reseting P/NVRAM didn't solve it.

Hopeful theres someone who can help me..

Regards from Vienna ;-)

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 9:31 AM

15 replies

Feb 19, 2015 9:58 AM in response to mende1

Thx for your quick answer..

Problem first kept the fans from going up and down, but when I started QuickTime recording it was there again.

Then restarted my Mac in Safemode, fans were going up and down again (and actually much louder in general).

Normal mode again, fans pretty quiet but you hear one fan still going up and down again.

Actually can't use AHT because my graphics card hasn't got a Mac Boot EFI (so I don't see anything before the logon screen)..

Feb 19, 2015 10:17 AM in response to tacerus

...and you don't have your old gpu?

You do realize that not all PC cards play well, and that you read up and researched before setting on this one? even different versions and makes of the same "model" or card series differ.

AMD cards may have two BIOS, legacy and UEFI.

Thought about sending it to MacVidCards or checking?

AHT does not test GPU.

There have been issues with heatsink and paste or with upgrades - very popular to flash firmware and throw in new cpu(s)

Mac Pro 2009 upgrade running hot - MacRumors Forums

2009 Mac Pro 12-Core CPU Upgrade (Dual 3GHz Xeon X5675)

2009 8-Core Upgrade... The De-Lidded Route - MacRumors Forums

Nehalm processors with their HT can jump 20*C just launching an app or files

To see what the processor temps are, and there are many sensors and ways to monitor, you would need something more like Hardware Monitor

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16609/hardware-monitor

Feb 19, 2015 10:37 AM in response to tacerus

50C is actually on the 'warm' side, might crank up the fans to 900 rpm for now, and try to keep them - when "idle" in the 35-40C range.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

I set multiple profiles that have to be manually selected from the app on the menu bar to choose which, and have set them up for new defaults that set the minimum fan speeds. low (700 rpm) medium (900) etc - whatever you need or seems to help. So if you know you will be running video editing or something you could preset the fans to 1200-1500 if that helps.

Feb 19, 2015 11:32 AM in response to tacerus

I have used FanControl for 8 years, you don't and it is because Apple chose quiet over efficient.

It is a tool. Use it as such. To boost the fans a bit. My PCs run fine but fans are 900 rpm, 1200-1800 rpm and run like that for years - non-stop.

50C though is a problem, because when working, and based on Hardware Monitor, you do not want to see 75-80*C except 'briefly' and then drop down. Running cpu @ 80-85C is considered a stress test to find its threshold. That is harmful to your expensive machine.

Your gpu should also be monitored. It may be putting more heat into the system than it pushes out and is having a secondary adverse effect and why you are seeing these temps. I use an HIS card that I feel has good thermal heat management - copper cooling pipes and fans.

A finely tuned car or sports car or computer system should be treated the same way.

Even an XP941 SSD blade - no heat really, no power to run, is another way to improve performance while reducing watts and heat. Heat kills.

Feb 20, 2015 6:14 AM in response to The hatter

Okay, seems to work quite nice, even when it is says it isn't tested on my machine yet ;-)

I gonna monitor my CPU and graphics card for the next day and see how the temperatures perform with my profiles.

I actually have a PCIe SSD in, not such a expensive one you listed, just a PCIe card where you mount a standard 2.5 inch SSD on - But works very fast and doesn't get warm. But the 4 HDDs do...

Thank you!

Fans spinning up and down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.