Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse how to for XP Bootcamp

The promise of running Windows XP was marred by my inability to get the wireless keyboard to function in Windows during startup. Judging by the number of posts on this issue, I am not the only one who is frustrated. While didling with this issue I developed a sure fire, if somewhat un-Apple and in-elegant, way to get them to work.

First you need to create a driver disk using the latest version of Bootcamp (I used version 1.1.1) and install them under XP using a wired keyboard and mouse.

Now re-install the Apple Bluetooth drivers to make sure you have the latest version:

1. Boot into Microsoft Windows.
2. Open the Control Panel and select Bluetooth Devices.
3. In the Hardware Tab, click Apple Built–In Bluetooth.
4. Click the Properties button.
5. Click the Driver tab.
6. Click the Update Driver button and the Hardware Update Wizard will appear.
7. Choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)".
8. Deselect "Search Removable media".
9. Select "Include this location this search".
10. Click Browse.
11. Navigate to c:/Program Files/Macintosh Drivers for Win XP/BthKicker/
12. Once the update is done, reboot.

Next we need to add the Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard (and wireless Mighty Mouse if you have).

1. If you are using a desktop Mac, connect a wired USB mouse and keyboard.
2. In windows, open the Control Panel and select "Bluetooth Devices".
3. Turn Bluetooth Discovery to "On"
4. Make sure your Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard is on.
5. Click the Devices Tab.
6. Click the "Add"button.
7. When the "Welcome to the Add Bluetooth Device Wizard" window appears, select the "My device is set up and ready to be found" checkbox, then click Next.
8. Locate the keyboard in the list the Wizard provides, then click Next.
9. Connect and select the "Let me choose my own passkey" option.
10. Enter "0000", then click Next.

When the process has completed successfully, you will see this message: "The Bluetooth device was successfully connected". You should now be able to use your keyboard.

On your next reboot in Windows, the logon screen will come up and neither your wireless mighty mouse or wireless keyboard will work. To activate the mouse, click one of it's buttons once or twice and it will start after a couple of seconds. unfortunately keyclicks will not start the keyboard.

To get it to activate, turn the keyboard upside down and use the switch to turn the keyboard off and back on again. Wait about 6 seconds and voila! As I said, not elegant, but definately a lot better than having 2 keyboards. It would be nice if Apple could modify the firmware to start the keyboard when a key is pressed, just like the mouse.

Have fun!

20" Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 9, 2006 6:46 PM

There are no replies.

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse how to for XP Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.