Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing problems

I'm trying to print from a Mac iBook that runs on OSx, but the document I'm trying to print is OS9 classic. I changed printers (to HP PSC 1410v All-in-One) and installed the software on the computer, but I can't get OS9 to recognize the printer. Please help!

iBook-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.0.x), I'm trying to print from OS9

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 3:40 PM

7 replies

Feb 19, 2015 5:00 PM in response to josieneill

At least according to the following web page, Mac OS 9 does not appear to be supported (nor the Classic environment). The same seems to be true for early versions of Mac OS X.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-PSC-1400-All-in-One-Printer-series/436453 /model/458990/document/c00316821#AbT2

However, "not supported" may not necessarily mean that all parts of the printer are not working.

Which operating system versions were said to be supported for the printer software that you installed?

Also, could you perhaps confirm the Mac OS X version on the iBook? Does the printer work at all under Mac OS X?

Jan

Feb 20, 2015 6:01 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

Thank you so much for your reply. The Mac OS X version is 10.2.8, and the OS 9 is 9.2.2. According to "Read Me" of the HD All-in-One installation CD, my printer supports both of these. I am able to print from the OS X, but I do not know how to get the OS 9 Classic to recognize the printer. How do I go about doing that? Or is there any way that I can move the OS 9 documents I want to print to the OS X version? This iBook is an old computer I had before I switched to a Dell PC for compatibility with my workplace computer. There are valuable documents on my iBook in the classic environment that I badly need. Unfortunately, there are too many of these files for me to copy them manually to a Microsoft Word Document. That's why I need help.

Feb 20, 2015 9:45 AM in response to josieneill

Hello,

OK.

Please note the difference between booting the computer from Mac OS 9.x.x and using Mac OS 9.x.x under the Classic environment (Classic starts under Mac OS X).

Because of the operating systems involved, I guess it would be correct to assume that this is one of the iBook G3 models, so both ways should be possible.

For printing from the Classic environment, see the article http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3147 to begin with.

Any luck? Otherwise, and if applicable, you may want to test booting the computer from Mac OS 9.x.x (select system in Startup Disk under System Preferences) and try the Chooser and any existing Chooser extension/driver from there.

Anyway, before you do anything, please make sure that you have backup copies (for example, on USB flash drives or CDs) of your important documents.

Yes, you should be able to print from Mac OS X as well. It depends a bit upon the type of document, but do check whether your Mac OS X programs can open the files (look through the Open dialogues for supported file formats). Sometimes, one can re-save a document in another suitable format (via the Save As dialogue in a Mac OS 9.x.x program) in order to make things easier.

Yet another way could be to transform a document into a PDF file under Mac OS 9.x.x, and then print from Mac OS X.

Jan

Feb 20, 2015 11:14 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

So far, no luck. I switched to the OS 9.2.2 operating system and tried to install the printer, but I got a message saying that system isn't supported. I've since tried to convert one of the documents to a PDF file, but can't figure out how to do so. When I click on "Save As," I'm given several choices, but PDF isn't one of them.

As you've probably concluded, my knowledge of computer systems is very limited. But I just know there has to be a way for me to get these documents in a format that I can print from the OS X system.

I really appreciate the suggestions you have made, and I would certainly appreciate any additional advice.

Thanks so much,

Josie

Feb 20, 2015 12:05 PM in response to josieneill

Josie,

To begin with, just try to open (a copy of) an existing unaltered file through one of your Mac OS X applications (file format list in the Open dialogue, unless the file opens directly). You could also try to open a test file on your Windows PC.

Alternatively, use a file format list in the Save As dialogue in the Mac OS 9 program (Word?) to convert an existing file to a couple of other available formats. This could be other program versions, a generic format such as Rich Text Format (RTF), or possibly just plain Text. Then carry out the same opening test in a Mac OS X or Windows application.

In order to create PDF files, you may want to check whether a free printer driver called PrintToPDF would work with your Mac OS 9.2.2 program(s).

http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html

Jan

Feb 21, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

Thank you so much! I am in the process of saving all the documents I need from the iBook in RTF format, then saving them to a USB flash drive, and finally saving them in Documents of my Dell.

I really appreciate the time you took to help me sort this out. I knew there had to be a way, but probably would have never figured it out on my own.

Best regards,

Josie

Printing problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.